Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Stop Computer From Going Into What I Think Is Hibernate Mode?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

Happy New Year!!

My laptop keeps turning off or something if I leave it unattended for more than fifteen minutes to half an hour or so. When I come back to the laptop, the screen will be blank, and none of the power lights or anything are on or flashing. Different things seem to make it come back on, but I don't know which one really works since I push a bunch of things until it comes back on. I try pushing the power button really quick, and sometimes that works. Other times I just push enter or click on the mouse, and sometimes I push all of these to try and get it back on. It's really annoying that it's doing this, and it didn't use to do it. When it finally turns back on or comes out of hibernate, then it goes back to the "Welcome" screen where you have to click on your name to start it all reloading, which takes FOREVER!! Seriously, it takes like fifteen to twenty minutes for my computer to come up, and I don't even have very many programs on it!! I don't even know what hibernate mode is or how it got into that mode.

So, my questions are:

1. What is hibernate mode?
2. How do I get it to stop going into that mode when I leave my computer for awhile?
3. Because my laptop now takes an eternity to load and start working again, I have just been leaving it on ALL THE TIME. Is this the best thing to do?
4. How do I turn off the indexing function?

Thanks so much!!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

Don't you just hate that? I just keep mashing buttons until something happens on mine! :thumbsup:

Hibernation is where the system saves the contents of the memory to your hard drive before shutting down (to conserve power). You also might be experiencing "Standby" - which is where the system leaves a trickle of power in the memory to save it's contents. The noticeable difference is when you turn it back on - Standby comes on almost immediately - whereas Hibernation requires longer to boot back up (and it usually says "resuming from hibernation" when it does.

To further confuse the issue, your BIOS has different power states that resemble these functions - you'll see them in the BIOS most commonly as S1 and S3 states.

To stop it from doing this, it depends on how the laptop is setup by the manufacturer. Here's the Windows way to do it - if it doesn't let you do it, then it's got some manufacturer stuff on it that you'll need to adjust instead.

Go to a blank area of your Desktop and right click on it.
Select Properties
Select the ScreenSaver tab
Select the Power button
In the next screen should be (on one of the tabs) options for Standby and Hibernation - they also may have options for AC power and for battery. I'd suggest leaving the battery settings as they are - and then turning off the options for when you're on AC power.

If your laptop is taking a long time to load, I'd suggest looking at this thread for some ideas on how to speed up the loading: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

While I don't have problems with leaving a desktop always on - I shy away from doing this with a laptop due to the heat issues. Maybe you'll want to use "Standby" with the laptop to help speed up the loading.

While there's several ways to turn off indexing, this'll probably work best:
1) Go to My Computer and right click on each hard drive and select Properties.
2) At the bottom of the General tab will be a check box for the indexing service. Uncheck it, and if you get a pop up, tell it to apply it to all sub-directories, etc. Do this for all hard drives.
3) Go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
4) Scroll down until you locate the Indexing Service, right click on it and select Properties.
5) Use the dropdown box that says Statup type and select "Disabled". Then click on the Stop button below it, then click on OK to accept the changes and exit the dialog.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:16 AM

Thanks SO much for all your advice, John!! I really appreciate it!!

So, I'm following your directions regarding turning off the hibernate feature, and I'm at the place where I clicked on Power, and I was given the following options:

1. Turn off monitor
2. Turn off hard discs
3. System Standby

I changed the first two sections to "Never" when using the AC and left the batteries as is, which was 5 minutes for each. I also changed the "System Standby" to "Never," but should I not do that because you were suggesting I use Standby instead of leaving my laptop on all the time? If I don't put the "System Standby" to "Never" then what should I set it to? Also, how do I use the Standby feature?

I have another question regarding the power on and offf. When my laptop is on and I close the lid to keep the dust out, the computer appears to just turn off. Is that REALLY what's happening, or is it going into some other mode? After I learn how to use the standby feature, is it okay to shut the lid, or will it do an improper shutdown?

Thanks again for the help!! Have a great day!! :thumbsup:

Michele

#4 peteyg67

peteyg67

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:28 AM

It depends on what u have it set to. It is usually standby mode but you can turn that settting off to!!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

There's a setting in your laptop that controls what it does when the lid closes. It should be in the tools for the laptop or in the power settings.

You won't "need" Standby/Hibernation on the laptop when it's plugged into the wall - but what happens if you lose power? Then, the laptop should go into Hibernation ASAP in order to save your battery life. So leave the battery settings alone for now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users