Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Firefox Vs. Ms Explorer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

I'm using the Mozilla Firefox browser and have un-checked MS Internet Explorer from the Windows component wizard but it still seems to be running in the background. Can someone please advise me as to how to disable it completely???? My OS is XP PRO>

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 January 2007 - 06:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 trumanpriest

trumanpriest

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

I don't know if you can. go to my computer and click on c:/ then in the address bar type in yahoo.com voila. I think it is part of Windows Explorer. Here is a neat article

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:41 PM

What do you mean it's running in the background?
Posted Image

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

If you read the description in the Windows component wizard it states that you are removing access to
IE from the start menu & desktop. With Windows XP systems, IE cannot be entirely removed. The code is integrated into the operating system & remains functional. Microsoft has set it up this way because certain parts of the operating system itself rely on the use of IE, such as Windows Update, which is critical in keeping computers up to date with security patches. I would advise you not to make any attempts to try & remove IE. You could cause system instability & damage it to the point that you would have to reinstall the operating system. Look at it this way, if nothing else: without IE you would not have been able to go & download Firefox to begin with.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Also, please note there is a difference between MS Internet Explorer and MS Windows Explorer. If the latter isn't running you won't have any open windows, start menu, task bar or much of anything else. It's practically impossible to do anything without Windows Explorer running.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

vegassounder, you will wreck you operating system if you do try to remove IE. Some people will go into the IE's Security Settings and tick them all up to the highest custom level for added security, block IE in their Firewall, etc, but doing all that isn't really necessary. There are some pages that will not display properly in FF because they are coded to IE exclusively. So sometimes you'll need IE for other sites besides Windows Update. For times like that, I use a FF extension that will switch to view in IE.

You didn't say how long you've been using FF but after awhile IE will more or less become out of sight, out of mind, if FF is set as your default browser.

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

vegassounder, you will wreck you operating system if you do try to remove IE. Some people will go into the IE's Security Settings and tick them all up to the highest custom level for added security, block IE in their Firewall, etc, but doing all that isn't really necessary. There are some pages that will not display properly in FF because they are coded to IE exclusively. So sometimes you'll need IE for other sites besides Windows Update. For times like that, I use a FF extension that will switch to view in IE.

You didn't say how long you've been using FF but after awhile IE will more or less become out of sight, out of mind, if FF is set as your default browser.

Agreed mommabear. There are programs to remove IE, but doing so will ruin the OS.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:38 AM

Thanks everyone,
Wanted to disable MS Explorer for 2 reasons. First because I read somewhere that Microsoft gathers cookie info on everyone using their program to develope profiles for sale to third parties. And number 2 if that is true then it follows that it would impact my browser speed as well.

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Thanks everyone,
Wanted to disable MS Explorer for 2 reasons. First because I read somewhere that Microsoft gathers cookie info on everyone using their program to develope profiles for sale to third parties. And number 2 if that is true then it follows that it would impact my browser speed as well.

I don't recall seeing anything like that (do you have a source?), but even if it were true, IE isn't going to gather any cookie data if you don't use the browser. Just let it be.
Posted Image

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone,

Any browser will handle cookies. Cookies can be good or be bad it depends on the application. You can turn off the ability to accept cookies, but then you may not be able to use some features of some sites. Cookies in and of themselves do not affect browser/browsing speed. I also would like to see the documentation about MS selling profiles, gathered from cookies. They already have image problems, I have difficulty believing they would do that. The reason being it would not be lucrative enough to risk the public wrath again. After the WGA debacle. Sounds more like another MS bashing article than fact. Since all browsers utilize cookies.

For more information on cookies see this link.

Be (Eat the cookies and spend the cache) Safe :thumbsup:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users