Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restrict Access Within Xp Home Sp2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

OK Following set up :

XP Home SP2 3 computers in a network.Would like to setup one account for my eldest son top only do his homework i.e. only access to certain websites. Any suggestions please? No mSN access no games nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trumanpriest

trumanpriest

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

I hope this helps Setting Permissions as for the internet I believe that you can launch internet explorer and click on tools/ settings and enable a content manager that blocks everything but a list of websites that you chose. I'm not at home tight now to play around, but I think you can. As for setting program permissions, make sure that your sons account is limited and log in as an admin and then set up the permissions for the programs. Go to c:/documents and setting/sonsusername/desktop to remove any applications but those you want, and then c:/documents and settings/sonsusername/start menu to edit his accessable start menu programs. Beyond that I will have to wait until I get home to play with stuff. (I think you are limited with what you are able to do unless you have NTFS file structure.( right click on c:/ under my computer to see {Fat or NTFS})) Hope it helps.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

You could also try the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit.

This free tool is used by schools and libraries to very severely restrict a user account, and is more comprehensive and centralized than using Windows' built-in tools.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

Here is another free for home use filtering program that you can also add sites to.
http://www.k9webprotection.com/about.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users