Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mb20and151

mb20and151

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

System info: Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2
Compaq Presario computer (2002)
What I can tell you from my computer information screen is this: 2 USB ports of 500mA per port, 1.2 GHz and 240 MB of RAM - although I don't know what half of that means!

I bought a digital camera (Panasonic DMC-FZ5) about 6 months ago. I have been fighting with it ever since. Now, I'd like to purchase an MP3 player but before I do I would like to make sure I'm not going to have the same problems I had with the camera. This is what happened with the camera (I still have it):

I plug the camera into my computer via USB and it registers that there is something there but it cannot upload the pictures to my computer. It does however work on my roommate's computer and on the computers on campus (all three - mine, roommate's and school's - computers have Windows XP). I spent many hours on the phone with Panasonic but all they could say was "It's nothing wrong with the camera, call your computer manufacturer."

So I spoke with Compaq. They ran me through a whole check of my system and drivers and tell me there is nothing wrong with my computer. The USB ports work fine with my mouse, sound card and printer. Assuming it was a USB port incompatibility I purchased a SanDisk card reader for the camera. I can't upload the pictures through the card reader either. As far as the camera goes, I have resorted to going to the library on campus to load pictures, then e-mail them to myself and save them on my home computer. Needless to say, it's a pain.

So, I would like to purchase a SanDisk MP3 player that is supposedly compatibile with my system (of course, the camera is also "compatible"...) but I want to make sure that it will work for me. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

Since other devices work, but devices with a lot of information don't - could this be an issue with your RAM rather than your USB? (just sorta thinking out loud here).

240 mB of RAM (I presume the other 16 mB is being used for your video card) is sufficient to run an XP system as it comes out of the factory. But as time goes on, more items take up residence in your memory and 240 mB will be woefully inadequate.

Not too long ago it was recommended that you have at least 512 mB to be comfortable. And lately, it's seeming to me that that may not be enough for comfort (although you can live with it).

Now, don't go rushing out to buy more RAM (although that would be a good idea for your system). Check the RAM on the other computers to see if they have more than you. Try and eliminate any open/running programs on your system to see if the camera will work then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users