Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winzip

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

Just found out that XP-PRO has a winzip built in. I have done a lot of reading on this site and in windows help and support. I still have a question. Can Windows built in winzip unzip any zipped files that a person might down load and how? Weather or not it was zipped using XP-PRO built in winzip. If so how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trumanpriest

trumanpriest

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

honestly I have never been very fond of the build in "zip" utility in xp in my experience it is VERY limited. WinRar is the best I have found out there. It can pretty much do anything

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

honestly I have never been very fond of the build in "zip" utility in xp in my experience it is VERY limited. WinRar is the best I have found out there. It can pretty much do anything

truth..

Im not fond of the built in Zip program from windows, It can do quite a bit, Im pretty sure it wont' open EVERYTHIng that's considered a zip file, such as .RAR files, but it will open any zipped program with the extention of .zip I know that much

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

You can download WinRAR Here.

Click on the downloads tab and download the trial version (not the beta).You can use the full functionality forever.

Edit:I have never had to use a third party utility to unzip anything.
Just my Posted Image

Edited by TMacK, 14 January 2007 - 03:55 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the fast replies and emails! I have down loaded some Zip programs that never worked but not winrar. I will give it a try.
Question! If I have more than one zip program will they fight with each other so nothing works?

#6 trumanpriest

trumanpriest

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

They won't fight with each other per say, however when you install WinRAR just make sure that you select all file types that you would like associated with WinRAR, this is done so that you may use one program for certain compressed files and another for others (ie. WinRAR for .rar files, and The integrated windows zip for .zip files.) WinRAR is the cat's meow, the bee's knees, you will not want to use anything else after you use winRAR so personally I would just select all file associations. :thumbsup:

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

I went to the site that TMacK shoes and they got a bunch of programs. I'm running XP-PRO-SP2 which would you recomend.

#8 trumanpriest

trumanpriest

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

go here and then pick WinRAR 3.62 under the "English WinRAR and RAR release" division.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

Thank you I'm going off line for a short time while I down load.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Well I downloaded it and I'm just waiting for something to unzip
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users