Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Comp With Xp Home Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

hi.
i have just installed xp pro on to my hp pc w5151.uk but now cant use the recovery partition to take it back to home as there are no hp programs on the pc anymore to do a recovery.i had not made any discs either(stupid i know).is there any way i can get into the partition to run the recovery with a program or make the pc boot from the partition?i have got some discs from another hp pc but dont know whether this will work.any help would be appreciated!!!
cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

The recovery files in the partition are for whatever version of Windows was originally installed on the PC, so I don't know whether using them for XPPro is a good idea. If you installed XPP, then you should have the disks for that version, and you can use those.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:11 PM

The recovery CD's from HP are customized for each system - you'll need the disks that were made for your machine in order to restore it. If you restore it, it'll go back to XPHome (just like the first time that you bought it home from the shop).

In the US the disks are fairly cheap (less than $20, shipping included) and are delivered within 4 or 5 days.

If you're looking to backup your XPPro, you'll have to get a disk imaging or cloning program to do this.

On the recovery partition of your HP drive are several folders with little locks on them - you'll have to gain access to them if you want to launch recovery from there. Unfortunately, I'm unsure about what locking scheme that HP uses.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

F10 is the default key to boot into the recovery partition after the HP Logo/BIOS screen. Although if the XP setup overwrote the master boot record, or you removed the partition during setup, that won't help you much. If you can't get it to boot into the recovery partition I would recommend usasma's suggestion and order the recovery disk set directly from HP. Easy way to do this is to go to http://partsurfer.hp.com , enter in your model number and look for Recovery Kit.

Or, if all you want to do is remove XP Pro and put on vanilla XP Home, you can just use an XP Home OEM disk and use the XP Home product key attached to the case. (The disk must be OEM, a retail [storebought] disk will not work.)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users