Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phoenix Keylogger And Maybe Something Else?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 van_helsing

van_helsing

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hello, im new here :flowers:

My pc has been causing some trouble, first by ending the subscription to McAfee Security Center prematurely . It also turns off the Virus Scan, Firewall and Spam Killer "until i renew my membership".
And every once in a while it shows me a message about a new update for those programs, prompting me to subscribe again.
IExplorer is also very slow, despite my cable connection. Other softaware is laggy and it takes longer than it usual to start my pc.

Tried using McAfee Stinger and the Virtual Techinician
The Virtual Technician did find some trouble, but it was unable to repair it

Ran Ad-Aware, AVG Free and Spybot, but they couldnt fix it either

Then i used Spyware Doctor FREE and it found it was the Phoenix Keylogger

I googled it and it seems like a very dangerous spyware (?), so i hope one among you can help me to get rid of it without having to purchase spyware doctor, since im assured even buying it doesnt mean it will fix it.

Any other necessary details please ask me
I hope my english is understandable as well, for it is not my native language :thumbsup:

Well, thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

Two programs to try:
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

http://www.superantispyware.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you still need help after using the programs above, please post a Hijack This log by following the instructions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several free antivirus, antispyware and firewalls that you could install to replace your McAfee suite. See the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 van_helsing

van_helsing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

Mmm downloaded both Spybot and Superantispyware but they didnt fix it :thumbsup:

I will post it on the Hijack this section as you told me

But on the McAfee replacement, do i delete the program? Because the software came pre-installed so i dont have the cd :S
And which of those programs do you recomend?
I use the following for protection, let me know what im missing and i should have:
Microsoft Windows Defender
Ad-Aware SE Personal
AVG Free Antivirus
Spyware Doctor
Spybot Searc & Destroy
SuperAntiSpyware

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:42 AM

Yes, you need to completely remove McAfee security products. Below is a link to a removal tool if you need it. You may first try using the Add/Remove program in safe mode. Turn off all McAfee programs before attempting to uninstall.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?fr...tegoryId=107187

Since you have scanned with a lot of good programs and only one found the keylogger it could be it is a false/positive.

You need to get a firewall as soon as possible. Zone Alarm Free is what I use and am happy with it. Only use one antivirus and one firewall. Windows XP firewall may be active on your computer now that McAfee has stopped functioning. Zone Alarm will automatically turn off the Windows Firewall during ZA installation.
I would not recommend having all the antispyware programs you have running at startup. Suggest allowing Windows Defender and Spybot to run at startup. If you use Internet Explorer I would also recommend installing Spyware Blaster.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users