Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Transfer My C: Drive Onto Another Volume?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hi.
I had a topic moved here but I decided to make a new post as "slow computer didn't cut it.

Could someone please explain how do I transfer my c: drive onto another volume. Making the other volume my new c: drive.

Would this make my computer quicker?

Thank you, help greatly appreciated. Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

You're trying to "clone" your drive - and it's a relatively simple operation, and generally your hard drive manufacturer has free tools for it.

But, more important is why you want to do this. No, it won't make the system appreciably faster.

Let us know a bit more about the issues that you're facing and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Hi, usasma.
Thank you for replying. The three reasons I want to do this are (in order from important to least important):

Well for the last 3 months our computer has been extremely slow but I posted a thread on bc here is a link to it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/77625/slow-computer/

After following these instructions thanks to quietman7 & fozzie in the thread, it has made our computer quicker. But even after following those instructions I believe the computer is running at 75-80% of its maximum speed (I might be wrong). So all I can think of now is it is my eTrust security suite (commercial) which is making my computer slow. Would I be right?

I'm also doing this because the family computer I'm using, only has an 18.6gb c: drive. But a month or so ago I got an extra volume put in 149.6gb. Considering we only have 4.1gb left on the c: drive I though I should switch the c: drive onto the new volume.

Another factor is we are switching to broadband soon from dial up.

Thanks for reading usasma, your help is greatly appreciated.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

OK, I doubt that the switch to another drive will help the speed issue significantly - but that can be worked on at any time. We'll need a lot more information in order to make more specific recommendations.

The most significant issue is the lack of space, and that should be dealt with soon.

A couple of questions then:
1) Do you want to transfer your Windows operating system - or go with a fresh install of Windows (which will also help your speed issues). Transferring the OS gets a bit complicated because of the hardware change - where a fresh install will take a lot of time up front, but will be easier to do and will benefit your system more.
2) Do you have the installation disks that came with your system? Or, do you have a genuine, Microsoft installation CD?
3) Have there been any significant changes to the system (other than the memory upgrade you mentioned in the other thread)?
4) Do you have copies of all the programs that you'd like to have installed (along with the registration/CD key numbers for them)?
5) Do you have copies of the drivers that you'll need (if they're not on the restore CD's
6) What make and model computer system do you have?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:42 AM

Hi thanks usasma.

Well ultimately I want to do whats best for my computer.

Do you have the installation disks that came with your system? Or, do you have a genuine, Microsoft installation CD?

I know I don't have the genuine windows installation disk, lost. It is genuine though i have the registration sticker and all. What should I do?

Have there been any significant changes to the system (other than the memory upgrade you mentioned in the other thread)?

A volume (149gb) has been put in.

Do you have copies of all the programs that you'd like to have installed (along with the registration/CD key numbers for them)?

Drips and drabs (Not sure I will look)

5) Do you have copies of the drivers that you'll need (if they're not on the restore CD's

Don't know (how do I make a copy without disks? might have some on factory disks).

What make and model computer system do you have?

Windows xp professional thats all I know.

After your next post I will post all the disks I have of drivers and software, it will take some time they are everywhere.

Thanks mate, its a tough one I know.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

The question about having the drivers and programs is for your benefit. If you don't have them, it's usually easy to download them and burn them to a CD.

The restoration CD is the most important thing here - without it you can't restore your computer to a new state. That leaves you with the option of imaging the disk and hoping that it'll work on the new system. If the moving doesn't work flawlessly, you won't have an option to repair the installation (since you don't have the CD).

Moving a hard drive (with the OS installed) is a chancy proposition. Here's a link describing how to do it: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=418

Please be advised that this "should" be easy to do - but because of the security features built into XP it may not go smoothly. Hopefully the new installation will work without problems - but if it does get problems, then you'll have to use the XP CD to fix them.

Who manufactured your computer? Does it have a name on the case?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users