Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Fixers And Spyware Catching Programs?!?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andyreno

andyreno

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:10 AM

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction when it comes to these kinds of downloads that you are able to buy and then set loose on your PC?

Are they any good? Do they do what they say they can? and if so are there any out there to avoid. What sort of price should I expect to pay? Is it a case of you get what you pay for?

I have run a couple of them lately, just trying out the free trial, and they all seem to find different amounts of errors, so really I am none the wiser. Hope someone out there knows about these things.

Cheers

Everton12

Mod Edit -> Moved to more appropriate forum!

Edited by D-Trojanator, 14 January 2007 - 06:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

In my less-than-humble opinion, registry fixing programs should be avoided. It is far too easy to hose your machine by messing something up in the registry. These programs provide information on things but do not decide what you should remove, and if you remove the wrong thing, Windows can be broken or rendered inoperable. And there are many free ones.

Spyware catching programs should also be free, and many are. Spyware, adware, and other malware must be scanned for on a regular basis, and in some cases blocked. If you aren't using any such programs, then I suggest you start. The ones I regularly install are: MS Antispyware (for XP), Adaware Personal, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster (blocker), and Zone Alarm firewall (no longer supported for older operating systems, still supported for XP.) This is in addition to a good antivirus. I install the free version of AVG, and yes, it's still available, though harder to find because Grisoft links to the pay versions first.

You must not have more than one antivirus or one firewall on your computer! But you can have as many antispyware/adware/malware programs as you want. They don't get everything, but they overlap so that what one misses another might get.

#3 andyreno

andyreno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

In my less-than-humble opinion, registry fixing programs should be avoided. It is far too easy to hose your machine by messing something up in the registry. These programs provide information on things but do not decide what you should remove, and if you remove the wrong thing, Windows can be broken or rendered inoperable. And there are many free ones.

Spyware catching programs should also be free, and many are. Spyware, adware, and other malware must be scanned for on a regular basis, and in some cases blocked. If you aren't using any such programs, then I suggest you start. The ones I regularly install are: MS Antispyware (for XP), Adaware Personal, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster (blocker), and Zone Alarm firewall (no longer supported for older operating systems, still supported for XP.) This is in addition to a good antivirus. I install the free version of AVG, and yes, it's still available, though harder to find because Grisoft links to the pay versions first.

You must not have more than one antivirus or one firewall on your computer! But you can have as many antispyware/adware/malware programs as you want. They don't get everything, but they overlap so that what one misses another might get.

Herk

Thanks for replying, it would appear you certainly know what you're talking about. I will look into using a spyware catching program to run in addition to my anti-virus.

Great advice, thank you.

Andy (everton12)

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

I certainly agree with Herk about registry cleaners and repair applications. Unless you are extremely careful, and somewhat knowledgeable about computing, and are willing to carefully review each and every item these wish to change in the registry, you can do your operating system or other applications a great deal of harm.

Having two or three Anti-spyware applications on your computer is a sensible approach, because each company has different criteria for what constitutes spyware, and will consequently find files the others may not "see." I use Spybot, Ad-AwareSE, and AVG Antispyware.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 andyreno

andyreno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

I certainly agree with Herk about registry cleaners and repair applications. Unless you are extremely careful, and somewhat knowledgeable about computing, and are willing to carefully review each and every item these wish to change in the registry, you can do your operating system or other applications a great deal of harm.

Having two or three Anti-spyware applications on your computer is a sensible approach, because each company has different criteria for what constitutes spyware, and will consequently find files the others may not "see." I use Spybot, Ad-AwareSE, and AVG Antispyware.

Regards,
John

Hi John

Many thanks for your advice.

Andy

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

There are some excellent tutorials here on BC in terms of safety. Please check these out. Asa as programs please check my sig. This has kept me clean for almost 1 year.

Edited by fozzie, 14 January 2007 - 04:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users