Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading With Qualifying Media

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

Got another question for Vista. I have two computers, one is only a few months old and came with an XP Pro full-version CD. The other one did not, it didn't come with XP it came with Me. My question is regarding the older PC. XP was literally released a couple months after I got the PC and Vista Upgrade Adviser says that my computer meets the Premium specs. I upgraded the Me machine to XP Home and still have the upgrade CD. I know, according to various sites on Vista (personal favorite is the Windows SuperSite at http://winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_03.asp), that if I choose to do a clean install from a Vista Upgrade DVD that I will be asked to insert qualifying media such as an XP or 2000 CD. Does my XP Upgrade CD count as qualifying media?

Edited by DJBPace07, 14 January 2007 - 12:30 AM.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

It used to work at least. I upgraded to XP on a machine with a 98 upgrade CD. I believe that as long as you have the installation files it will work. And I haven't heard that they've changed something.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

http://www.microsoft.atat.at/windowsvista/...pgradeinfo.mspx

Run the Upgrade Advisor tool to get additional details. Generally, your qualifying media is the XP upgrade that you bought - but there may be some exceptions based on what kind of upgrade (to XP) that you purchased.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

I've also heard, on forums at Microsoft, that if you boot to the Upgrade DVD the installation program will search for the qualifying OS.

3939.png

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

Yes it will search for the qualifying OS - and if it doesn't find it, it'll ask you to insert the qualifying media (CD) before it will continue. This makes it a bit of a crap shoot unless you've done your homework prior to attempting the installation.

For example, we tried to upgrade XP Media Center Edition to XPPro at work on a new Gateway laptop for a customer. He had purchased the upgrade version of XPPro and it wouldn't install. It turns out that MCE to Pro is not a supported upgrade path - but the error messages didn't tell us this. It took a phone call to Microsoft before we figured it out :huh:

So there he was, stuck with an upgrade copy of XPPro and couldn't use it (we did manage to find a workaround - but it only works on Gateways and eMachines).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

I hope MS has been a little more open about which upgrade paths are supported. I have two computers, one is going from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate and the other is going from XP Home to Vista Home Premium. I'll be doing clean installs all the way. One of the computers is 64-bit capable and the only way to go from 32 to 64 is to essentially wipe the C: or wherever XP is installed with a clean install and install Vista. Or install it on a new partition. There was a huge debate at the MS forums about this, but it is possible. The other PC has had XP Home for years without a reinstall so clean installing is long overdue.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users