Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Drive Will Not Open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 .....?

.....?

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

Its been this way for about a day now. Apparently, there is "no supported drive". I tried going into my softwares
configuration but it says its either off or an unknown program. Any help would be appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 14 January 2007 - 01:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

I want to know if I read this right..
basically
if you pop a disc in your CD drive it'll go in but it won't read it ion my computer, And you can't open the drive to view files? am I right?

if so theres a couple things you can do, depending on your background..

Firstly Id make sure the connectors are in place, the IDE cable is attached to your motherboard etc... if all that is in place, What Id do is unplug it , Restart your computer, then turn off your computer once iwndows boots up, plug your drive back in and start er up again

that way it will recognize the new drive in windows again , Might fix it

If your'e afraid to do that, I might have to come up with an easier way of doing it, Or if I got the problem wrong..

#3 .....?

.....?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

What I actually meant was that the disc drives tray will not physically eject from its slot supposedly due
to some system mess up. So, its physically impossible to put any discs into my hard drive for use. I will still
try your idea, however.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

have you attempted to use the manual eject by placing a.. paper clip or something in the little opening? has that worked if so?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

Just to try to clear what resp has suggested, on the front of the drive below the tray there will be a small round hole. If you insert something like a paper clip through it you will be able to push the release mechanism, you may need to pull the tray out from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:03 AM

Have you recently uninstalled a burning program?

#7 .....?

.....?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

ok, so the disk drive is now open, but, my computer wont run the discs. And no, i haven't uninstalled
a cd burning program

#8 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Did you have to do the manual way with a paperclip or did the unplugging work?

#9 Bernardus

Bernardus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

ok, so the disk drive is now open, but, my computer wont run the discs. And no, i haven't uninstalled
a cd burning program

sorry but I'm new on this site and don't know how to start a seperate add to your problem.
If your CD does not read your Cd it will hang your system and will not open. After some time trying the Cd driver switches off and only a restart will back power on the drive. Either your Cddriver is weak or your CD is corrupted.

bernardus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users