Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp On C - Two Hds - Want Xp On D

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Naci Sey

Naci Sey

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

This discussion board was recommended to me by another person you saved!

I have spent DAYS and DAYS trying to sort this out. Many more I've spent reading one after another after another forum, none of which have answers that seem to fit my particular situation. I hope you can help me.

My computer's situation is this:

1. two distinct hard disks (19 GB & 28 GB), lettered D & C, respectively
2. WinXP is installed on C
  • ME was installed on D;
  • I installed ubuntu over that;
  • then realized I didn't have the skills to set up what was needed on ubuntu,
  • decided I wanted the use of my D disk back under a Windows environment;
  • tried to install WinXP on D;
  • seemed to work until the login (and I haven't tried starting up on D again)
Now the default boot drive is D, not C, so I always have to be ready to select C before the 'wrong' disk starts up.

Now what do I do? Is there, for example, a way of installing WinXP on D from C? And is that a good idea or even necessary? I'm so worried about screwing things up now that I'm scared to try anything!

I'd really appreciate your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

How to remove a second installation of a Windows operating system from a partition
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:23 AM

It's been my experience that Windows prefers to start from the C: drive. The simplest thing here would be to install Windows on the C: drive and leave the D: drive for storage.

To ensure that this happens, disconnect the D: drive while Windows installs. This will force it to install everything on the C: drive. Once it's done, boot into Windows and format the D: drive to remove everything on it. From that point on your system should work normally.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

If you still have Windows on the C: drive, then you probably only need to alter the boot.ini file on C:, and then reformat D:. All should be well after that. Or follow usasma's advice and reinstall Windows from scratch.

FIRST
  • Start
  • right click on My Computer
  • Properties
  • Advanced tab
  • Startup and Recovery 'Settings'
  • hit the EDIT button
This will open your boot.ini file.

NEXT
Copy the contents.
  • cntl + A (to select all)
  • cntl + C (to copy highlighted text)
NEXT
Post it's contents here in the forum.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Naci Sey

Naci Sey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

Yes, I still have XP on C and it's working fine. D is the problem.

Here's what the boot.ini file shows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Under Disk Management, C is identified as Disk 0, D as Disk 1. Here's a screenshot - a new skill learned thanks to bleedingcomputer tutorials!

Posted Image

Edited by Naci Sey, 14 January 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

If D: is the problem, boot into Windows on the C: drive - and then format the D: drive.

If boot.ini still has an entry for the D: drive installation, you can then edit it out, use the Recovery Console to fix it, or use "MSCONFIG"'s BOOT.INI tab to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Naci Sey

Naci Sey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I ended up doing the following and all seems to be working fine.

1. Changed the boot.ini from the above to:

[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

2. Reformatted D.

3. Moved contents of 'My Documents' to a My Documents folder on D and changed the system 'My Documents' to point to D:\My Documents.

Now I've got 18.5 of 19 gigs available on D.

Without an operating system on D, will I not be able to load programs on it, just data? It's going to be challenging to fill up the remaining 18.5 gigs with that, given the rate I'm going!

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

When installing programs, the program should give you the choice of where to install it. You can then choose D: if you decide to.

I prefer to keep my programs on C: since they're closely linked to the operating system and I'd get no benefit by saving them to D:

Also, you've got 57% of C: free - it's gonna take a lot of programs to fill that up.

Finally, FWIW, if you image your drive now with one of the imaging utilities - and in the future you need to restore it - your system already points to the D: drive for My Documents - so a restoration will put you back into business with the pointer in place for the D: drive My Documents. So your data will be there and available after the restore.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:29 AM

[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you change this line:
timeout=8
to
timeout=0
the computer will boot up normally and you won't be presented with the black and white screen for 8 seconds.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 Naci Sey

Naci Sey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

FWIW, if you image your drive now with one of the imaging utilities - and in the future you need to restore it - your system already points to the D: drive for My Documents - so a restoration will put you back into business with the pointer in place for the D: drive My Documents. So your data will be there and available after the restore.

Sounds like good advice. Are you aware of any good free imaging utilities?

AF, I changed the timeout from 30 to 8. However, the selection screen doesn't stay up that even that long, but instantly moves to the XP startup. Perhaps that's because there's no longer a second boot disk.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:11 AM

I've heard that Digital Dolly and DriveImageXML are good - but haven't tried them myself. I've used Acronis True Image (about $50 US) for the last several years. You can get a trial version here: http://www.acronis.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users