Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Video Memory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Whits

Whits

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

How can I increase my shared video memory?

I have 1gb of RAM and I would like more of it to go to video memory.

I have a Dell Latitude D600, so a new video card isn't quite possible for me.

Where is the setting to change how much is shared? I have heard it's in the BIOS, but I can't find it there...

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

The setting, if available, will be in the BIOS for your system I wasn't able to find any references to this setting in my searches, so you'll have to look through the BIOS to see if it's available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Whits

Whits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

The setting, if available, will be in the BIOS for your system I wasn't able to find any references to this setting in my searches, so you'll have to look through the BIOS to see if it's available.

Alright, my BIOS version is A16.

On the first page there's a list of diagnostics, one line says I have 32mb Video Memory or something to that extent.

I can't move down to change anything in that area though, only the date & time up top.

There's nothing about shared video memory or memory on any of the other pages.

Guess I can't change it, unless there is somewhere else to do it from?

Thanks again

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

Since I don't have a copy to look at, I can't be sure. Take your time and scroll through all of the options to see if you find something promising. If you do, post it here and someone should be able to let you know if it's possible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

If you can't do it from the BIOS, its probably because you cannot do it at all. At least, i had the same question with my notebook (HP Pavilion DV1117), which haves 64 (if i remember correctly, hehe), and wanted to change it to 128 (because i added extra 256 ram), but I was not able to find a way to do it, neither from the OS controls or the BIOS settings. I also tried updating the BIOS version, but it didn't change my fate... In the end, i had to force my computer to run Guild Wars with the lowest res. possible, and in a really freaking way (had to learn to be patient... reeeeally patient :thumbsup: )
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

Actually, I've only seen a few systems that will allow this. And, generally, they're higher end systems that for some unknown reason have used integrated video.

The vast majority of systems don't have this option - but it never hurts to check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users