Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aftermath Of Virus/worm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robot_Wizard

Robot_Wizard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hi, I'm having some problems here, maybe someone can help. I was infected with something, there was a trojan involved, but I'm not really sure what really happened once the dust settled. I do however, think I got rid of whatever was infecting my computer (although maybe not). When I run Trend-Micro and AdAware they come up clean, and the computer seems to be running fine.

Ok, now I run Trend Micro real time virus protection and probably 4 or 5 times a day a pop up will appear telling me a virus was intercepted. These alerts always tell me to refer to either bulletins MS02-039 (Buffer Overruns in SQL Server 2000 Resolution Service Could Enable Code Execution) or MS03-026 (Buffer Overrun In RPC Interface Could Allow Code Execution). In both instances Trend Micro tells me pretty much the same thing:

This detection is not a detection for the vulnerability of your machine. If you got this warning, it is an indication that a malicious piece of code passed through your network or your machine, but was detected by Trend Micro as MS02-039_SQL_SERVER_RESOLUTION_EXPLOIT.

If you have patched your system against the SQL Resolution Vulnerability, then your system should be safe from the damage that may be brought about by this exploit code.

Otherwise, you can look up the patch information for your Windows version on this site. Trend Micro advises users to refrain from using their system until it has been completely patched against this vulnerability.

Trend Micro vulnerability check also tells me I have a vulnerability in Office- MS06-003 (Vulnerability in TNEF Decoding in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Could Allow Remote Code Execution). I run Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 and I have all my updates, so I should have all necessary patches right?

How much do I have to worry about this stuff or not? What do I do to fix it?

Here is my HijackThis log, although I'm not sure how much info this provides (notice the NVIDIA thing).

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:14:47 PM, on 1/13/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\arservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PCCMAIN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2006\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...b?1168564188296
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1168564308906
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - (no file)
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Whisperer

Whisperer

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

Hi Robot Wizard and welcome to the Bleeping Computer forums. My name is Whisperer and I will be helping you with your problem. Although I am experienced with computers, I am currently a Trainee in Malware removal and, as such, ALL of my fixes will be checked by malware experts. I am sorry for the delay in answering you but things are pretty hectic in the anti-malware world. The Nvidia entry is OK so if you still need help then please read on.

If you have not done so already, please do the initial cleanup steps in the following instructions: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting a HijackThis Log

Your log appears to be clean but also a little sparse so please rename your HijackThis.exe file to RobWiz.exe or any other name that takes your fancy and then run a new log in Normal mode and under the new name.

To assist me in any cleanup, I would like you to produce a list of installed programs.
  • To do this open your HijackThis
    • Click on Open the Misc Tools section or Config… button, depending on how you are set up.
    • If you used the Config... option then click the Misc Tools tab
    • Select Open Uninstall Manager , a list of your installed programs will be displayed.
    • Select the Save List… button and save the file to your desktop.
  • Please post a copy of this list and an up-to-date HijackThis log in your reply
GT :thumbsup:

#3 illukka

illukka

retar.. erm retired!

• Security Colleague
  • 2,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:46 AM

due to lack of feedback to a helper--> this topic is now closed
to get it reopened PM a staff member with the address of this thread.
this applies to the topic starter only, everyone else with similar problems start a new topic.

thank you Whisperer :thumbsup:
To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak The Truth

a retired malware fighter/teacher/advisor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users