Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing/malfuncution Cd Drives?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fade_To_Grey

Fade_To_Grey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

All right. I have two CD drives (actually, one DVD and one CD-R) that now, do not work. They open, they shut, but when I can stick something into them, they never load. They use to work, but they do not now. I have no idea when this problem started, we have sent out computer in twice for repairs at a local place, but those repairs were unrelated to this problem.

In a semi-related problem, I need to install something on the computer, through a CD, (and since I never even noticed this CD problem, I had no idea this was a problem when I bought the software) I have a laptop, and I was wondering if there is anyway I could use its CD drive as a make-shift one, or install the files and transfer them over to the main computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hello,

Could it be something simple, such as the auto run option has been disabled? when you open my computer can you explore the discs or do they come up as empty?

I beliebe you will need special cables to connect the laptop cd drive to the pc and would advise against it.

If both systems are equiped with ethernet ports, you can network them together and transfer the files that way.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

Ill wait for your response to nigglesnush's post before I say a few opinions,

However in response to your laptop idea, its not possible

Im not sure about attaching it directly to your computer, But the network idea won't work, For the reason that its a copyrighted CD and you can't copy information off it without ripping it first, and even if you installed it on your laptop and transferred files, the registry keys wouldn't be set in your desktop, Nore would a lot of other files that attach themselves to the windows folders of said computer (if any)

I mean if you could rip it on the laptop you oculd network transfer it that way and run daemon or some sort of virtual CD drive to install it, But other than that theres no way for it to work 100%

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:37 AM

What resp is saying is correct.

You can't install it on your laptop and think you're going to transfer it over to your other computer. It won't work, especially if it alters the registry keys/values.

To add to what resp said, you may need to do this.
a. Find your cd drive in the Device Manager, then highlight it, and delete it.
b. After that reboot... your computer should find the cd drive and install the drivers for it.

c. Also, what programs are you using to view your videos, and which programs are you using to hear your audios?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

Hello again.

Just to add, it is possible to connect a laptop cd drive to a computer as I have done it before, with the help of a cable that plugged into the back of my old pc and plugs into the connectors on the back of the cd drive in question.

Whats wrong with putting the cd into the laptop, making a .iso image, then transfering that image over the network and mounting it using alcohol120% or deamon tools?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

Hello again.

Just to add, it is possible to connect a laptop cd drive to a computer as I have done it before, with the help of a cable that plugged into the back of my old pc and plugs into the connectors on the back of the cd drive in question.

Whats wrong with putting the cd into the laptop, making a .iso image, then transfering that image over the network and mounting it using alcohol120% or deamon tools?

You can do exactly as you asked. There will be no problem at all.

But running the program may be a different story. You have machine codes, machine identifications, registry entry, and so forth, that would make connecting a hard drive with a full installed program run on a different machine. If you can get it to do as you think it may be able to do,,, just post back your results........ because it may work.

I took a hard drive out of a Dell computer, and put it in another Dell computer,,,, different, altogether,,, and guess what?...... I booted up that computer and the system is running to this day, with a different hd in it, yet a different machine no#. So what you propose is possible.

As much as you may hate it......... try it....... trial and error is your best proof. It may work, or it may not work.

#7 Fade_To_Grey

Fade_To_Grey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hmm, after looking around Device Manager, I've come to the conclusion that the computer does not detect the drives, which is certainly confusing, as they funcution, and therefore are recieving power. Where might I go about finding a diagram or instructions to examine the insides of the computer and locate the problem?

#8 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

I could point you to some random webpage about motherboards however it may help your knowledge but it wouldn't help you

if you could figure out your motherboard brand and type Ill look up an online diagram of it and Possibly if I can figure it out myself Ill explain the bits and pieces that I can :thumbsup:

Most likely if your motherboard isnt' detecting the drive whatsoever then its an IDE cable or IDE problem as that's the way that your motherboard even knows a drive is there in the first place (when working properly) so if its not detecting it could be a fault in the IDE port, or it could be a fault in the cable you use, More than likely Im guessing its the port (place of connection) for the IDE cable on the motherboard or the worse case is that its a malfunction in the actual electronic components of the motherboard which isn't allowing the IDE to send a signal to the CPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users