Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want To Password-protect A Folder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

Our family shares one computer running W98SE and I want to password-protect a folder containing some sensitive adoption records. A Google search seems to say that W98 won't do that without the purchase of software. Would appreciate any suggestions and/or a link to any freeware that might do the job for me. Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you are after,

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Everywhere that distributes it gives it 4, 4.5 and 5 stars

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

nigglesnush85: Thanks, but it doesn't seem to handle W98 and appears to be overkill even if it did. Perhaps I wasn't originally clear, I only want to protect one folder (containing a few Word documents) from the eyes of young family members. I'm not trying to protect the whole computer or disc partitions.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

I see, I did some digging, and found this...

http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

I downloaded it and tried it on my machine, it looks good, sadly I don't think that it can password the folder in question, but it can encrypt the files so that you have to enter a password to view the individual files.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:18 PM

Have you considered hiding it?
Right click on the folder - properties - Under Attribute check hidden.
Out of sight out of mind sometimes.
The system must be configured to do not show hidden files or folders (the default) for this to work.

As another option, you could password protect the Word documents themselves. Word will allow you to do that natively. Only problem with that is the password is to open the file. They can still delete it. I just tested that.

Why dont you get a USB jump drive that works with 98? All Lexar's will if you download the drivers from www.lexar.com. Then put the files you want on the drive and put it away someplace. That might be your best alternative.

Edited by Eyesee, 13 January 2007 - 01:41 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Can't you password-protect the actual files? I've never tried it in Word, but I do keep sensitive files password-protected in Word Perfect. You can still see that the files are there, but you can't open them without a password.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

AxCrypt works quite well for Win98. I always used WinZIp to .zip the file then password protect it. Optimal would be to place the file on a thumb drive or floppy then hide it.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

Herk

You can password protect it in Word but you can still delete the file.
Try it in Word Perfect and see if it lets you delete it.

Twinsdad says the files contain sensitive adoption records.
Let us not forget that!

I think the best short term choice is a USB jump drive or burn them onto cd.
For permanent archival purposes, how long will a cd or a jump drive last?
That remains to be seen.

I think maybe the best option for adoption records would be to rent a safe deposit box at your local bank and store the originals there. Twenty years from now, or whatever, when you need a copy of them there is no guarantee that the digital media they are stored on will be intact nor that there will be a device to read them on anymore. Remember the 8 track, LP and casette tapes.

For permanent archival records of this nature a safe deposit box is the best option.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

I think the best short term choice is a USB jump drive or burn them onto cd.
For permanent archival purposes, how long will a cd or a jump drive last?
That remains to be seen.

I agree - I don't have to worry about my protected files being deleted because they're constantly backed up to CD, where they still require a password to access. I believe that CDs will last much longer than floppies, which seem to fail pretty regularly, and I think they would last enough that every few years they could be recopied and reburned. I haven't actually seen a CD that would no longer work, though I have seen drives become unable to read them.

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

I downloaded software many years ago that would password protect certain folders but I can't remember the name of the software, try one of these :thumbsup:

http://www.everstrike.com/

http://www.password-protect-software.com/

http://www.folder-password-expert.com/

http://www.folder-password-expert.com/folder-protection.html

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users