Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcuts Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tom30nl

tom30nl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi all.
My first time here hope i post in correct place..
Anyway here goes..
I have lots of progs to keep pc clean anso on which are used on regular basis.
The problem is after doing some scans for spyware and registry scans all the shortcuts i have on pc have lost their icons and no longer work.
Im not very advanced with pc's but think maybe a scan has deleted something out of the reg.
i've tried using programs such as Windows Registry Repair Pro,RegistryFix,Registry First Aid and Registry Booster,to try and restore them but with no success.
I cannot do a restore point to an earlier time,i have tried.
The only thing i can think of is reinstall windows which i dont really want to do :-(.
My pc is p3 500mhz 256 meg ram running on windows xp home edition.
I hope you can help me.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, tom30nl: :thumbsup:

Personally, I don't recommend registry fixers, cleaners, or any other similar programs to most users. If you are an advanced user, and you know exactly how to get out of a difficult situation with your computer, there may be a particular need for a registry tool. With that said, you are already in a difficult situation with your computer, and you need a solution.

Do any of your icons work? What is the exact error message that you get when attempting to click on an icon? What spyware detection programs are you using?

If the XP system restore didn't work, you could try to run the XP System File Checker(SFC). Please see this mini-guide -How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

Whenever you are in a situation like this, I would recommend that you back-up any data that you may require if your computer becomes unusable, or you get to the point where you have to do re-install. A re-install should only be attempted after you eliminate all other possible solutions.
JC

#3 tom30nl

tom30nl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hi i tried what you suggested but no success.
I'm not an advanced user no but have come across lots of errors with pc and have been able to solve them by searching forums and using various progs.
This one has stumped me a bit, the reg cleaners have never caused me a prob before but have actually solved a lot of faults.

As for the spyware programs i have ::

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Advanced Spyware Remover
ewido anti-spyware
XoftSpySE
Ad-Aware SE Plus
CounterSpy
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Cleaner programs::
CCleaner
Cleanup
HDCleaner
Advanced WindowsCare V2

Ive used these programs for a while without any problems.
When i click on a shortcut i get no error message at all, it just does nothing except highlights it,the icons for the shortcuts have all gone.
All shortcuts symbols are now the same,
they are like a white folder,just like when you dont have correct program to open it.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hello,
I would try a program called xp manager by yamicsoft, it is an optimisation kit which has various fixes in it.

Remember to back up everything; just in case
Regards,

Alan.

#5 tom30nl

tom30nl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

Thanks ill take a look at it and post my results :-)

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

I feel like I am contradicting myself...

Try the LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior).
It can be downloaded here - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Since this is a registry fix, as a precaution, you should back up your registry prior to applying this fix.

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
JC

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

You may also want to try a repair install of XP to restore the registry (it will leave your programs and data intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users