Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retreaving Cd Key From Cd...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muse81

Muse81

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:30 AM

Hi there,

As a last resort to try on whip the slate clean with my computer yesterday I decided to reformat and reinsatall Windows XP (64bit version). In the chaos that is my room I was only able to find my back-up copy of windows at the time but as it was getting so late I started the instalation process ayway. The panic started to set in when an hour later with my room now looking like a war zone in Irak, I stilll had not found my origional disk and product key. I's now the next morning and I am frought!...I NEED this computer for my work - I know I'm an idiot b4 anyone points this out.

Please....is there any way of obtaining the CD key off the CD using another computer? I know you can when it's installed onto your system but that's obviously no use in this case. :thumbsup: I really don't wan't to have to buy another copy of Windows (I did not register it b4 if that makes a difference).

Thanks in advance

Muse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:32 AM

Boy can I ever relate to your predicament. It's happened to me more times than I'd care to admit.

The answer to your question is no. The Product Key is not included in the CD. Without the original case (with the Product Key printed on it) there is no way to recover the key.

Each Windows XP installation disk is not associated with a particular product key. Any valid key for the specific Windows version will work to allow installation. Thereafter, the product activation process must be followed. If Microsoft included the Product Key as data on the CD itself, there would be a way to access it (just as you are aking) which would defeat much of the Product Key's purpose.

Sorry... without your key you're a bit stuck. Once/if you find it, be sure to write it down and keep it in a safe place.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

Just FYI - this happens to me all the time! So, I bought a 200 CD binder at WalMart for about $15. I put every CD that I use in the binder (once I find it!) and if it's got a key, I put a copy of the key on an index card with the CD.

Now I've just gotta find the durned binder when I get in a similar fix! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:15 PM

I keep all my serial numbers, product keys, passwords, account numbers, and other important data in a spreadsheet on my external USB drive. I also keep a copy on an old-fashioned floppy disk that is kept in my desk at work.

I've used the copy on the usb drive numerous times, and I've never had to fallback on the floppy disk.

#5 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for those tips. I do actually have a CD wallet which I use to keep my back-up CDs etc, however it tends to get raided by my brother no matter how well I hide it. I think I will have to grafitee my bedroom walls with all my product keys just to be on the safe side - it's the only solution :flowers: lol.
I like the idea of putting all the idea on an external flash drive too. Oh well I guess some lessons are little expensive to learn but I guess I won't be making the same one again (I'll make a whole new one :thumbsup: ).

Thanks again

Muse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users