Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Cleaup Fails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wittydisplayname

wittydisplayname

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

First of all I am a complete dolt on all of this. Please explain like I am a 4th grader.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 & running MS 2000 Professional. For a couple of weeks now it has been running incredibly slow. I have followed your tutorials and have installed and run: Spybot Search & Destroy; SpyWare Doctor, Spyware Blaster, and Panda ActiveScanPro. Still sluggish.

I have also sucessfully run the Disk De-fragmenter. The strange thing is I cannot run the Disk Clean-up tool. When I run it I get a screen that says:

Disk clean-up is calculating how much space you will be able to free up on (C:)

Calculating......

Then it just freezes with the box showing 4 bars

It also says..."Scanning: Compressing old files"

So it just freezes and nothing happens after that. Does this tell you anything? Is this a clue as to what is wrong?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

The strange thing is I cannot run the Disk Clean-up tool.

It will complete, it just takes a long time....This is a known issue with Disk Cleanup in Windows 2000. Please see the Microsoft Support article, The Disk Cleanup tool in Windows 2000 stops responding while it scans old files for compression.

I would avoid the registry fix within this support article, since you mentioned that you are not an advanced user. You could try ATF Cleaner, it will clean out the same areas that Disk Cleanup does, and more.

ATF Cleaner

Hope that helps,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users