Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Not Working

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:32 AM

Today i posted a hijack this logfile and was told to run smithfraudfix and superantispyware and after i did i wasn't able to open firefox it would come up with the window that says "restore session" or "start new session" and i've tried both and then it would come up with the "firefox has experienced a problem and needs to close" i've tried uninstalling firefox and reinstalling it and that didn't help any suggestions???

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:52 AM

If all you did to uninstall firefox you may still have bits of it lingering around. This article may help you to completely remove firefox. Try reinstalling firefox after that and let us know how it goes.

Edited by dc3, 13 January 2007 - 02:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

As long as you are actively working with a member of the HijackThis Team,you should refrain from making any changes to your OS.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

i went through those instructions and cleaned everything out and now i just get this message "Firefox is already running but not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process or restart your system" so i tried to find it in the windows task manager but i didn't so i just restarted but i'm still getting this message.

#5 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

oh and i'm done working with a hijack this member.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

Usually this error with Firefox indicates that there's an invalid path in an .ini file that Firefox uses (it's pointing at the wrong place for something that Firefox uses. In my case it was caused by moving my profile to another drive.

Editing the appropriate ini file will fix this - but you'll have to search the Mozilla KB for the exact instructions (I can't recall where I found it - but think that I searched for the error message itself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

Have a look at this MozillaZine KB article called Profile In Use.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

That's the one! Thanks TMacK!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

Glad to help usasma. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

i got it working i think finnally what did it was that i made an application data folder in the hp owner folder and then reinstalled firefox i tried to figure out the stuff on that link but didn't really understand it but it still did help out so thanks to all for your help i'm VERY glad to be back where i belong, with firefox haha

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

Glad you got it working again!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

ok i got it working but now i customize firefox (take buttons off and add buttons) but when i close firefox and open it again all my customizations are delted and it is set back to default.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

I think that there's an issue with where your profiles are setup. I'd suggest removing everything and going with a straight install where Firefox chooses the location for you.

Is there something unusual about your setup (for example, is your C: drive your Windows drive and is it the drive that the system boots off of? Are you installing Firefox to another drive?

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Also see this article; Moving Your Profile Folder.
Scroll to the bottom:Troubleshooting.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:53 AM

Ahhh i finally got it working thanks to everyone's help what worked finally was that i closed out firefox and then ran "firefox.exe -profilemanager" and i created a new profile and that fixed my problem thanks again to everyone that helped me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users