Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 200 compromised with csc directory under win

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 calanbyrd

calanbyrd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:48 AM

I have an infestation on our windows 2000 pro computers that I can not find any one else who has had this issue. a bug is making a C:winntcsc dir and them making d1 d2 d3 etc directories under it and then filling up the hard drive with all kinds of random junk.. it appears to be a nuisance virus / worm and I would like to know if anyone else has had this creature and what are the solutions..

thanks to all who might answer this neubie to this forum..

Alan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:13 AM

Is it C:\winntcsc or C:\winnt\CSC ?

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 calanbyrd

calanbyrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:11 AM

sorry for the mistype.. it's C:\winnt\csc then C:\winnt\csc\D1 then d2 and d3 and so on..

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:30 AM

This folder is the offline folder for letting you use files when you are not conencted to a server.

This happens when you right click on a folder and select the "Make Available Offline" it will then synchronize the server folder with the local folder stored under windir\csc.

To stop this, right click the folder and select the option again to remove the check

#5 calanbyrd

calanbyrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:16 PM

thank you.. i'm really feeling stupid right now, but also very relieved... thanks very much..

Alan

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:51 PM

Hey Alan, no need to feel stupid. You said you are a noob and asking questions is the best way to learn and what these boards are all about. And I can see why you might have suspected malware. The prevalence of that stuff today always makes me wonder about it when problems like that crop up. And checking to see if you are infected is one of the first steps in troubleshooting.

So anything else you need to know about, feel free to ask away.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users