Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Microsoft Word/office

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

right now i have word perfect. it is crappy so i am getting microsoft word. when i get the disk, do i just instal it or do i have to do something special? will i still be able to save all of my documents that i have created using word perfect? :thumbsup:
-thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hi sharpie,

Just install away, Word Perfect and MS Word are two entirely different programs from two different companies so installing MS Word will not affect anything you have created with Word Perfect.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:48 PM

yeah but i dont want wordperfect on my computer anymore. so if i delete word perfect and install mw will i still be able to open the documents that i already have saved?

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:52 PM

Nope, you are going to run into some problems because they are two different formats and from what I have read in these next two links Word Perfect (WP) looks like a format to be avoided if you want your documents to be readable by other word processing softwares. I don't blame you for wanting to go to something else.

MS Word can open your WP documents but you will have some formatting issues which you will have to work through manually. This link provides a good explanation of why you are going to have problems with your WP documents.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WordPerfectConverters.htm

While this site has information on some of the problems you will face and can help you in your task. Read this site carefully and you should be able to get through this alright.

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html

Reading some of the above web site I really think you are going to have your work cut out for you in converting your old WP documents to something else but will be worth the effort in the end.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

ok thank you so much. i dont have that many. do you think that it would be easier to keep wp on the computer just so i can open the documents that i already have created and just use mw for my new documents. or should i just remove wp?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

i dont have that many

Or you could copy and paste each WP document into the new MS Word you will install, and save them in the new format. Once you have all the old WP documents converted and saved in Word format. You can then delete WP if you wish

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

so just copy and paste? that sounds ok

#8 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

I hope it is just that simple a fix but somehow I doubt it is going to be. I think you are still going to have the formatting issues to deal with. Let us know how it works out and remember my links above if copy and paste does not work.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

Good point on the formatting issues, if the documents are highly formatted. However if they are lightly formatted mostly text documents it should be rather straight forward, with minor difficulty.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

there are just a few papers i had to type.

#11 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I am glad you only have a few files to deal with so you should be able to retype them if thats what it takes.

Be sure to post back and let us know what happens when you get MS Word so this post may help others who have the same issue.

#12 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

I would just copy your document then after Microsoft Office is installed, open a new Word document. Then paste it, then save the document.

There you go.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#13 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

I would just copy your document then after Microsoft Office is installed, open a new Word document. Then paste it, then save the document.

There you go.

yeah thats what i was thinking, but they said i might have formating issues... :thumbsup:

#14 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:07 AM

ok i got the disks and i copied and pasted one document and it worked fine, but it is going to take a while to do that to all of them :thumbsup:

Edited by sharpie, 21 January 2007 - 12:08 AM.

#15 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

ok i got the disks and i copied and pasted one document and it worked fine, but it is going to take a while to do that to all of them :flowers:

Glad it worked out. :thumbsup:
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users