Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Advice Regarding Ipb

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Watchmanz

Watchmanz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding the use of Invision Power Board - not such much in relation to using the software as I'm ok at doing that, but in changing the installation set-up and paths.

To explain, I have developed a website for someone wherein IPB is loaded in /www/www and there is an integrated chat in /www/www/chat - all is working well except now he needs a portal. Of course the default IPB portal won't work because the forums are installed to the root folder rather than a /forums sub-folder.

I was needing a bit of advice as to possible ways to get around this, preferably without the need to delete everything and start again as IPB has been heavily customised and integrated.

Can I move IPB from /www/www to /www/www/forums and change some paths in the ACP and expect it to work (my heart is hoping yes but my mind is saying no) or, alternatively, can I use the IPB portal or another portal and have it operate somehow as the site index by leaving the forums where they are?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Watchmanz, 12 January 2007 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

You should be able to move the IPB into a subfolder, but I would do a back up first, 'cause, well, you never know...

For expert advice, post here:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?s=&undefined
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

The answer is yes. Go into the ACP and under tools and settings -> general configuration change the following settings:

Website Address
Upload URL
Path to 'upload' directory
Image URL

Change them to the new locations.

Then move your data to the new folder. You may also have to change some of the path settings in your conf_global.php in your forum folder.

Remember that you will lose all your search engine links as they will be pointing to your old url.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users