Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I Have An Infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spooker-123

Spooker-123

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

I hope someone can help...

My laptop seems to have picked up something somwhere.

I'm not getting any pop-ups or anything like that, but it seems to be downloading something from the internet - even with the browser shut down.

When I am out & about, I use a Vodafone data card to connect to the web, which has a limit of 250mb a month. There is a monitor to show how much I've used and I normally am below 200mb each month - I've never gone over (if I do it's charged at so much per megabyte over & above the limit - very expensive).

I noticed the other day, that it was showing a large amount of data transfer whilst it was idle - so I shut it down and waited until I got home and tried connecting through my wired broadband connection. Again it was showing a lot of activity - even though I had not opened my browser.

After about 5 minutes, the LAN status was showing I had received 15 megabytes - of what I don't know. The data received is always much higher than that sent.

I have run both Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.

I have run Super Antispyware

I have Run Norton Anti Virus.

All with the latest definitions.

All of the above found and cleared a number of problems, but the problem still remains.

As it stands, I am unable to use the laptop away from home because it will soon go beyond the monthly download limit.

I did, a couple of days back, get infected with Spysheriff, which I thought I'd got rid of with Spybot S&D etc... But now when I run any of the above mentioned programs, they don't find anything.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

The link below is to a fix for Spy Sheriff:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52345/how-to-remove-spyware-sheriff-and-antispylab/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Spooker-123

Spooker-123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

The link below is to a fix for Spy Sheriff:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52345/how-to-remove-spyware-sheriff-and-antispylab/

Thanks for the advice. I've run this but unfortunately it didn't work.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

You may post a Hijack This log and let the experts help you by following the instructions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users