Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Slow To Start And Stalls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shuggy73

shuggy73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

Inherited a laptop Fujitsu SiemensLifebook C-1020 it has several niggling problems which are really beginning to get on my nerves now :thumbsup:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.00 gigahertz Intel Mobile Pentium 4 - M
752 Megabytes Installed Memory
Norton AntiVirus Version 11.00
Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

XP Pro was reinstalled by a friend after a failed attempt to install SP2, on start up it would get as far as the XP Splash screen then restart and just do that over and over again. After the reinstall from a "bench copy" I had to go through all the hassle of getting it validated again with the product key. I don't have any of the installation or rescue discs.

On startup XP loads to the desktop and the Brother printer programme starts then nothing for around 3 minutes. Wireless connection is very fragile, resets every couple of minutes and more often than not reports "limited or no connectivity".

IE 7 installed, been reading that it's causing some problems for some people!

Getting a bit frustrated and would like some help on where to start

Cheers in advance
Shuggy '73

"These are not the droids you're looking for" - Obi Wan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

I would start with the basics,
1 scan disc
2 disk cleanup
3 defrag
4 click start then run then type sfc /scannow

With most systems, they seam a bit flakey around the edges, I have used tune up utilities 2007 (30 day trial) to smooth of the edges with rather astonishing results, I would recomend you use this tool

Then I would go into start run then type msconfig, and disable some startup items.
Then I would go into start run then type services.msc and disable some services.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

Did you go to the Fujitsu site to obtain and install the motherboard and other hardware drivers?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 shuggy73

shuggy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

Didn't reistall the dardware drivers! Or I don't think so, like I said it was a fiiend who sorted out the problem with XP.

Is it worth mentioning that the laptop runs very hot and the fan rarely runs.

Is it worth updating the hardware drivers - is it difficult to do?
Shuggy '73

"These are not the droids you're looking for" - Obi Wan

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

The laptop has a decent spec, try ctrl+alt+del, and find out how many processes are running on it.

Regarding updating the drivers, it is usually straight forward, just make sure to download the correct driver from the manufacturers website.

To find out what version of various drivers are installed, go to the device manager, right click on mycomputer, go to properties, then to hardware then device manager. double click on an entry to get the details.

Regarding the fan not working, If you are feeling brave, open up the back of the laptop and cleen any obstructions on the fan.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

I know you inherited the laptop, but you may be close to loosing it.

Letting it run without fans is asking for trouble. The chips inside were meant to run at certain temps. Running your system without the fans can damage it perminately. It can also cause a variety of problems due to flaky processor and memory glitches.

IMHO I would leave it off until I have the fans running.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users