Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just A Gentle Moan About 'beeps' ...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

I know, I know - I'm grateful I've got modern day appliances but there are 'times'!

Since moving into this small apartment last year, have discovered that things that go 'beep' can drive one a wee bit nuts.

Yup, the microwave beeps, the oven beeps when it hits the pre-heated temperature, the coffee pot beeps when ready and when shutting itself off, the fridge beeps in one leaves the doors open too long, the freezer beeps for the same reason, the washer beeps, the dryer beeps, the cookie timer beeps ... and I often zip around trying to figure out which of these are beep beep beeping.

Aah, if only each played a gentle little melody instead - grin.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

I feel your pain of such.

Having just moved into a new apartment with many unfamiliar sounds,
I found myself hearing an occasional "beep beep".
I checked all my fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, and all appliances too.

Two days ago I found the source finally.

A fire alarm/detector installed by the owner in the attic of the building I live in.

Whoosh.... I nearly had to beat him about the head and shoulders...
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hi KoanYorel, I guess my grandmother's old adage must be right, 'misery loves company' - hoot! 'Cause it made me feel so much better knowing it's not just me that all this beep beep beeping can drive a little nuts!

Can even understand your urge to mentally 'beat about the head and shoulders" the man who installed the alarm incorrectly in the attic :thumbsup: . (Now, that would be awful, having a phantom beep going off - eek!).

Gee, maybe we should put our heads together and develop a company that changes all the beep beeps to some gentle melodies - we could make a fortune! Another smile!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

The beeping I can't stand is when the smoke detector battery needs to be changed and the dryer (which is actually more like a buzzer)! Drives me nuts, makes me want to break it into little tiny pieces! Posted Image
Posted Image

Gee, maybe we should put our heads together and develop a company that changes all the beep beeps to some gentle melodies - we could make a fortune! Another smile!

That would be cool, like maybe with a dial so you can change the melody from time to time! :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Uh fridges beep now days? We have a older one not to old but say 6 years old and it doesnt beep. If it did the "beeper" would somehow get broken "hum hum hum"..ha ha

When we do make cofee its on a cheap maker with no beeping.

We got a new dryer last year. Super nice. Cool new air sensor shuts itself off when clothes are dry. It beeps every 10 seconds for the last 10 minutes of its cycle to say its about done. We have it in another room so it doesnt bug us.

Infact I just heard it and its not quite every ten seconds.

You can remove the beepers and dinging devices in them.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

Just grap a hammer and everything will be ok :thumbsup:

But the problem too is that often the beeping is made by the same beeper as one you need to keep such as the smoke detector... if you destroy the beeper well you destroy the detector... grin :flowers:

Anyways life is just going to get beepier

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

One of the beeps that drives me nuts is the one when I have my car door open and the keys in the ignition.

You stupid car, I KNOW my keys are in the ignition. I just want to talk to my dad before I pull out okay? So shut up!

I took all the smoke and fire alarms out of the house. The stupid things always go off when I take a bath, but never go off when I scorch the rice or something. I figure it like this: if I'm awake I can detect a fire in my house much faster than the alarm does. If I'm asleep, I won't hear the dratted thing anyway so it serves no purpose.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

Lol... that reminds me... In my car if I have the door open and I press the button to lock the doors it beeps and doesn't even lock them... Then I have to press it a second time to lock...

GEESE I AM RIGHT BESIDE THE DOOR I NOTICED IT WAS OPEN...

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

" One of the beeps that drives me nuts is the one when I have my car door open and the keys in the ignition."

I know how to fix that one for sure. Find the buzzer in your fuse box or wherever(or beeper ha ha) and rip it out. It usually just plugs in life a fuse.

Ahhh peace and quiet.

#10 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:48 AM

One of the beeps that drives me nuts is the one when I have my car door open and the keys in the ignition.

You stupid car, I KNOW my keys are in the ignition. I just want to talk to my dad before I pull out okay? So shut up!

Our car says "Your key's in the ignition". No :flowers: , we put the key in the ignition! :thumbsup:
We would turn it off (there is an option) but it helps when the kids don't close the doors good and 'The Voice' will let us know. It also helps when someone forgets to put in gas, it'll say that fuel is low or something.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

Our car says "Your key's in the ignition". No :flowers: , we put the key in the ignition! :thumbsup:
We would turn it off (there is an option) but it helps when the kids don't close the doors good and 'The Voice' will let us know. It also helps when someone forgets to put in gas, it'll say that fuel is low or something.

Iv'e disconnected as many warning beeps in appliances in my home as possible,without compromising safety.Also all the warning beeps in the car,because quite honestly they annoy the crap out of me.

Edited by DSTM, 15 January 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#12 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:26 AM

The worst noise I've had in the house was when the refrig was on about to die. It vibrated against the walls and basically sounded like a jackhammer. :trumpet:
We punched & kicked it and it stopped. :flowers:
:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

So ... which one of our genius' here can create a substitute beep for all these beeping things that we can set to play different melodies - and make a million dollars from doing it? Huge smile!

(After all, some of the beeps are very handy - it's just the beep beep beeping that is driving so many of us nuts - grin!).

#14 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:15 AM

So ... which one of our genius' here can create a substitute beep for all these beeping things that we can set to play different melodies - and make a million dollars from doing it? Huge smile!

(After all, some of the beeps are very handy - it's just the beep beep beeping that is driving so many of us nuts - grin!).

You know, just our luck, someone goes and makes the beeps louder!!Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

I bought a new cell phone before Christmas, and scrolled through the 20 ringtones that were already installed on it to find the one that sounded like a real phone ringing...the kind I remember from my childhood when we actually had to dial.

I was in line at Wal-Mart the the other day when one of my kids called. Half a dozen people looked confused at the sound, two actually checked their phones (maybe they thought their phone forgot its custom ringtone?) and the cashier looked at the intercom next to her station. I knew it was my purse making the noise because I am the only person on the planet who has a cell phone that sounds like a telephone. It does not play a song, sound effects or Larry the Cable Guy when it "rings". It rings.

Put the batteries back into the smoke detectors, please. For one thing, you might save your life or someone else's. The other is that some insurance companies won't pay if the smoke alarms have been disabled.

Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users