Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Video Card To Choose?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000, 1gig of RAM, XP Pro SP2. Currently I have a Radeon 9250 128mb card installed. When I try to play any game, I can't have full resolution because I get lagging. Even a simple game like Command & Conquer will bog down when I have a large battle.

I'm looking to spend around $200 on a new card. But I want one that will push some demanding games without chopping up. I don't have a preference between ATI or nVidia, but I'm looking for performance. I do have a PCI Express slot on my mb.

Could it be my CD Drive that is slowing things down? I have a new Sony DVR. I am at a loss; I want to play kickass games on my computer, but I don't know how to get it there.

Someone please help me!
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

it could be any number of things, really. do you have a lot of background programs running? have you defragmented your hard drive recently (once a month or more is good)?

if those don't help, tom's hardware had a good guide to video cards. i just got the x1950xt based on it's recommendation.

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

I wouldn't say I have a lot of programs in the background. Probably 10 or so. Yes, I defragment quite often. Sometimes turning off the Virtual Memory in order to defrag the whole volume.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#4 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:17 PM

When I had a 64mb 9250 (It was AGP) with a 2600+ and 512 RAM (my very very first system)
I had no lag at all in games.
But I did play some lower-end games.
Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, some Counter Strike
anyway, a 200$ pci-express card.. I'd go with a 7900GS. I think that's their price now..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150202

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 12 January 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#5 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130056

The EVGA 7900 GS. Powerful, cheap. More than enough to play any DX9 games that are already out or will come out soon.

$155 after rebates.

I prefer EVGA cards because EVGA is the only one whose warranty covers overclocking. Which is a nice plus.

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

how do you overclock a graphics card?

#7 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Pretty simple. Nvidia Cards can be overclocked with a tool Nvdia made called Coolbits. It's just a matter of typing in the clock speeds you want.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Vid card overclocking:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/141

I also believe that AnandTech did an article on this - but can't find the link.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

ATI has a program called ATI Tool which works pretty well. it lets you set the memory and core clocks and then test them for errors while also monitoring temperature.

#10 Aljaud

Aljaud

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

Well, if you're planning on getting Vista, and playing DirectX 10 games and stuff, I'd wait a little while to see what DX10 cards come out, and see if they go down into your price range a little better. Currently the only DX10 cards are the fast, but highly expensive GeForce 8800GTS/GTX's, but within a month or two ATI should whip out some DX10 cards, and the 8800's should drop the price a bit. If you must have one now, then yeah the eVGA 7900GS would be a nice pick.

#11 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

Your best bet would probably be with the 7900GS. But they also have 7600's with higher clock ratings than 7950's.
XFX's Fatal1ty
7600 = Higher clock
7900 = 256-bit video memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users