Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gremlins In Ram

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:45 AM

:flowers: Hello again from the wet and windy UK.

Funny thing happened yesterday with my computer and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it.

I run a Windows XP Home addition which when I bought it 3 years ago only contained 256mb of DDR Ram.

I waited until the guarantee period had expired and then upgraded the RAM. The computer has 3 banks for the Ram and so I increased the capacity by adding a 256 mb strip, one to each of the remaining 2 banks. This giving me the total of 768mb, which is quite sufficient for my needs. That was approximately 6 months ago.
Now, yesterday when I switch the machine on, I noticed that in the system properties only 512 mb of Ram were showing as installed ! I I did a re-boot and tried again but the system still showed that 256mb of Ram had gone walk-about; not to be out foxed I removed all three strips and then installed each one again, checking that each one was recognised.Would you believe it, the system now shows the correct value of RAM at 768mb.
I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this malfunction and if there were any reasons why this may have happened. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

There could be many different reasons for why that happened, but the 1st thing that comes to mind is that your RAM wasn't properly seated. It's also possible to move the computer (or bump it), and making the contacts of the RAM become disconnected from the bank if they weren't properly seated first.

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks for that.
Don't really know what caused it, the tower has not been moved for some 6 months from installing the Ram upgrade and no-one else uses the computer. Never mind though, it was only something that I thought I might raise the question on. Gremlins will be gremlins.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

Glad to know you're up and running as usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users