Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Cd/dvd Reader Trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ToDrag

ToDrag

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Toshiba internal CD/DVD reader no longer reads media. I get "No disc in drive E:" message. Drive runs, light blinks (continually), but no accessing the disc. This unit is not a burner, only a reader.

Worked fine for 3 years and just suddenly quit.

Only thing I have done is check for driver updates. Driver is current.

Second internal unit, Plextor CD Burner has recently not read discs or files from discs. I reload the media and it works the second time. I use two external CD/DVD Burners, but would like to have internal drives working.

Any ideas? Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to thee, these three: love, joy & the blues

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

It may have gone bad, they do that. Try right clicking on My Computer, select Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Under DVD/CD rom drives, right click the troublesome drive and select uninstall. Reboot the computer and Windows will find the drive and reinstall it. See if that works. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 ToDrag

ToDrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I did what you suggested twice, no change.

The second time I had to push the release with a paper clip to get the disk out of the drive. I had not had that happen before, so I guess it is getting worse. I will plan on replacing it. I have put in a bit of hardware before, floppy drives, a tape drive once, and I managed to make it work out. I am sure I can again.

I also was wondering why Windows will intermittently recognize my external drives. I have the two DVD burners I mentioned. Some of the time, when reboot, they are not recognized by Windows. I discontinued having them both on at the same time unless I needed them to help with any conflict. They are both on a firewire card. However, sometimes Windows will not recognize even one of them. Usually I can disconnect it and plug it back in (firewire) and that will do it. Rarely I have to turn off the power and disconnect the firewire and reboot. After reboot I turn it on and plug in the firewire and it then recognizes it. As I said, this is all very intermittent. About 70% of the time, Windows recognizes them without probem. Any thoughts on that? By the way, I have tested the firewire card and checked for updates, but it is fine.

One of the externals is an internal with a case on it. I can take the case off and install it in my tower to replace the bad drive. The only thing is it is black and my computer is not. That is not a big deal to me, though.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:36 AM

You might want to get a lense cleaner for your drives. I don't know if that will help but it could be worth a try. It sounds like your drive is in need of replacing. I don't know about Firewire, I've never used it. Hopefully somebody here will come along and help with that. :flowers:

But you could make sure the jumpers on the externals are in the right place. On my external the jumper needs to in the Master position. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 13 January 2007 - 01:02 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 Laura Ford

Laura Ford

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

Try blowing in it :thumbsup:

#6 ToDrag

ToDrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

Thanks, Wildabeast.

I think I will replace the internal reader. I do have to check the jumper configuratrion, etc. and make the same on the new drive I will be installing, correct? I will replace the reader with a burner, probably the one I mentioned that I have that is an internal with an external case on it.

As far as external burners, I never knew about any jumper settings needing to be made. How do I check this?

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

Sorry, have'nt been around my computer for a couple of days. On the external drives, on the back of them are some jumper pins. I guess you will have to remove it from the case. There should be a diagram or something saying how they work. CS is cable select which means the computer figures out where the drive is, which does not always work the way you want. MS is master, SL is slave. Put the jumper on master since it's the only drive on that Firewire connection.

On the internal, yes, put the jumpers on the same as the drive you are replacing. Either master or slave. If it's on cable select put the new one there.

Hope this makes sense, I know what I'm trying to say, I just hope it comes out right.... :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#8 ToDrag

ToDrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info, Wildabeast. Your instructions make perfect sense.

I should be able to get the drive installed without any trouble.

I appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users