Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking A Radeon 9600 Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sempervigilans

Sempervigilans

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

Ive recently become aware that my video card is not working as well as it should. I met a guy witha similar computer to mine and an identical video card and i was running the same games as him a bit slower.

So i had a look around with some overclocking tools.

Turns out a radeon 9600 pro should be clocked at 400/600 for engine and memory speeds

The bios of my card is set at 398/279, far below what its factory specs are.

So i was thinking of increasing them back to normal and possibly a bit over, is there anything important i should know?

Also what would make the bios reduce the speeds in the first place? possibly overheating?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

The 9600 Pro uses DDR memory, which stand for Double Data Rate, where data is transmitted on both the rising and falling edges of of the clock signal. This effectively doubles the transmission rate making it perform as if it was running at 600 MHz when it in reality is only running at 300 MHz.

So your memory speed of 279 MHz becomes 558 MHz which is only a little under specs.

I wouldn't put it past some third party manufacturer to underclock a card a little bit to get under some thermal or power envelope. Or use a slower GPU and overclock it to near 9600pro levels. Or it could just be reporting it wrong

Knowing more about the machine in question could help answer the question.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users