Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Window Goes Inactive Intermittantly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pat61

Pat61

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

I have a unique problem that I cannot figure out. A few months ago, my teenage son borrowed my laptop and when it came back it was loaded with spyware and viruses. Virus Bursters, vundo, vs toolbar, trojan generic downloaders, etc.

I have Toshiba Satelite Laptop with Windows XP Home SP2, 1.73 GHZ Pentium M, 1GB Ram.

I set to work cleaning it up. I ran Spysweeper, AVG antivirus, Adaware, Panda Online Scan, Trend Micro Housecall, Windows Defender, Smithfraud.exe, vundofix, etc...all the BB recommended stuff and got it as clean as I could. I even ran AVG, Spysweeper and Adaware several times in safte mode. I turned off System Restore and cleared that out too. I have downloaded IE 7 and made sure my windows has all the possible updates. All scans run and show a clean computer.

The only thing that persists is that I can have an open window, particularly in IE 7 or Firefox, and it will become "inactive" for 3 to 5 seconds. During this period of time you can click with the mouse on the page and you will hear the windows "tone"...you know that xylophone single tone you hear for a pop up system message. After that brief period of time, the window will come back active and the page address will be highlighted in the address bar as if I had double clicked in the address bar. If I have two windows open, and this occurs in the minimized window, then it will maximize over the top of what I am currently doing.

I posted a hijack this log on castlecops regarding this issue and we made a few changes with it, but all it ultimately did was make a program Toshiba put on here called Notebook Maximizer not functional for a week or so, but one day it began to work again. I didn't worry about it because it wasn't a program I used anyway.

I was just wondering if you guys could direct me to a forum where I could get some help with this. The problem is not terrible, but irritating. I am about to install Digidesing pro tools on here and start using this laptop as an audio workstation and I'm afraid this small issue will become a big one.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pat61

Pat61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

Surley someone must have some ideas short of reinstalling XP!!?? :thumbsup:

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

Hi Pat61,

It is pretty difficult to diagnose a problem when a HijackThis Team from another Forum has made changes to your OS.

Perhaps post this question in CastleCops,as they would have access to your HijackThis Log and pertinent changes.

Unless another member here can add something.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users