Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Type Of Motherboard For My First-build Computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vavaig

vavaig

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

After getting some great help from everyone here on my last question, I decided to ask another. I'm looking to buy a motherboard that can hold in access of 8GB+ Ram. On newegg they have intel and amd ones. I'm wondering which one is the better of the two? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Depends on if you want to use an Intel or AMD processor.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

IMO, go with intel. I'm an intel kind of guy. No real reason. :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

The 32 bit versions of XP and Vista won't recognize 4 gB of RAM - so you're talking a lot of overkill here. Is there a particular reason for it? If you're planning on using the 64 bit version of XP - be aware that you won't find a whole bunch of stuff available for it. I'd expect the same to happen with 64 bit Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

The choice depends on what you're willing to spend. Right now installing over 2GB of RAM is a waste.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

FWIW - I have 4 gB of RAM - and Windows will only recognize 3.25 gB of it. I haven't tested to see if the other .75 gB is dragging the system - or if it's ignored.

I'll be building another Vista system shortly - and I'll use 2 gB out of this system for it. That way I'll have 2 gB in each.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 vavaig

vavaig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

Well, if you put it like that, I am looking to get whichever type of mobo with 2GB of ram and the best type of processor .. I was going to use it as a gaming computer, but I'm just kind of getting out of that stage of my life :thumbsup: .. I will be using window's vista

Edited by vavaig, 11 January 2007 - 08:45 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

My current system is a Core 2 Duo E6600, an MSI 975x PUE mobo, 4 gB of Corsair RAM, and 2 W-D 150 gB Raptor II's along with an eVGA 7600 vid card. It's nice and fast and handles Vista like a champ. I play the occasional game - but only on low resolution (because of my eyes) - so I don't need great graphics performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users