Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Xp Be Installed Via Network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nemslistings

nemslistings

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi everyone! My brother bought one of those little Compaq work PCs a while back on ebay. It did not come with a DVD, CD, or floppy drive. Windows was not installed. I have a Windows 98 and Windows 2000 full install disk and a XP pro disk upgrade disk. The problem I'm having is that a cd drive for it costs more than he paid for the machine because it is made special for those machines. I think the computer has a 2.2 GHZ processor, 512 MB ram, and a 80 GB harddrive. Everything worked great when I tested it using DSL Linux from my USB flash drive.

So, my question is how could I get windows on that machine without buying a cd drive. I have a 1 GB flash drive and a 512 and that machine has 3 USB ports. I also have an external cdrw drive but it has to have the drivers installed to work. I also have a patch and a crossover cable.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

Since the PC will start with the DSL Linux, have you tried making an ISO image of the installation CD, then putting the image on the flash drive and running it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

This is for a Thinkpad without an optical drive. This method uses an adapter that connects the laptop hard drive to the IDE connector in a desktop. I think you could do the same by booting from the USB drive with a Linux LiveCD and use a second USB drive that contains the listed files so they can be transferred.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation...ut_CD-ROM_drive

Installing Windows 2000 or XP

Attach the harddrive to the host computer and install a minimal bootable DOS system i.e. by booting a Win98 Emergency Boot Disk and performing the command "SYS X:" (where X = the laptop's harddrive).

Copy FDISK.EXE to the laptop harddrive.

Return the harddrive to the laptop and boot to DOS. (If you have Win98 installed by default, you can skip the first two steps and simply reboot in Windows to DOS.)

Run FDISK and set up your new Windows system partition on this laptop. (If you do not do this on the laptop, after reboot you will receive the infamous "NTLDR IS MISSING" error. This error may still occur if the partition is greater than 7.8gb in size)
Then return the drive to the host and format the drive as FAT32. (DO NOT format as NTFS.)

Repeat the "SYS X:" step to make the new partition bootable.

Copy Himem.sys and Config.sys, too. Otherwise SMARTDRIVE.EXE won't run

Get SMARTDRV.EXE from the internet and copy it to your Thinkpads harddrive.

Also, from the Win2K or WinXP CD, copy the I386 folder to the harddrive.

Return the laptop's harddrive to the Thinkpad one final time and boot to DOS.

Run SMARTDRV.EXE first, then change directories to I386 and run WINNT.EXE, this will allow the installation to begin.

During installation, choose NOT to format the destination partition, since it contains the installation files. If you want that filesystem to be NTFS you can convert it after installation from within Windows.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users