Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restrict Access To Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhadur

jhadur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

I would like to restrict program access to certain users on my xp computer, specifically the guest user. I don't even want them to be able to see certain programs and definitely do not want them to be able to run them. Is there an easy way to do that in XP?

Edited by jhadur, 11 January 2007 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

XP Pro or Home?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 jhadur

jhadur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

media center

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

It depends on the programs and the knowledge of the other users. The simplest way is to move program shortcuts out of the All User's folders into your account.

But there's many easy ways around this (for example, just type iexplore in the Run dialog and Internet Explorer will launch.

The free Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit can do this: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

I'm sure there will be other recommendations shortly....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

I think MCE has the group policy editor, you can use that.

START > RUN > GPEDIT.MSC > USER CONFIGURATION > ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES > SYSTEM > FIND RUN ONLY ALLOWED WINDOWS APPLICATIONS > RIGHT CLICK > PROPERTIES > CLICK ENABLE > FIND APP. > OK REBOOT

More info here, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...6.mspx?mfr=true

I haven't ever enabled it myself, but I don't think the setting applies to administrator accounts, or at least the Administrator.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users