Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email-connecting A New(old) Pc To A Mail Server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chassen

Chassen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

:thumbsup: Why is it always the youngest in the office who gets stuck with these issues? Ok, vent over.

I'm in a new office and we have an existing server. I have the Server IP, the ME Server, Mailbox, Modem name, where it's attached, the PC name, the domain name. Whew!

What I need to know is, we are setting up a temporary station down the street where some applications (can't be brought here, nope too easy!!!) are kept and we need to set up a PC there to access the e-mail at this location. This location has their own internet connection.

I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I can slightly recall setting up my PC (at home) with STMP or POP3 information, but I'm not sure how to do this with an existing internet connection.

And of course, my bosses expect miracles. They say; "We believe in you! You can do it!" I say; "You're too bloody cheap to have a tech come in."

Can anyone help a girl out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

Do you actually have to download the e-mail to the computer? Would using the web-mail interface be sufficient for your needs?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Chassen

Chassen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Not as far as I can tell-but it could still be done, I'm just not sure of how to do it. All the PC's in the office are interfaced into one server, which I don't have passwords to change the access to. Otherwise I'm fairly sure this would be easy; add an access and then subscribe user name and PW and then we're set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users