Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 motllah

motllah

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'm using Windows XP with a Radeon 9200 Series video card.

I made a thread here recently concerning this problem, which I originally thought was being caused by the monitor.

My monitor (or any other monitors I've since tried with the computer) will black out randomly (usually after a few hours of running) , come back with a garbled screen, go black again, then show Windows again, but with some further problems like video being unable to play or desktop widgets not displaying properly, until I restart.

After the monitor does its thing, I'm presented with an error message from my video card's manufacturer, ATI.

So I've attempted to completely uninstall and reinstall the video card. I removed the drivers and associated software, restarted the computer in Safe Mode and ran Driver Cleaner Pro's driver and cab cleaners, then reinstalled it all.

But it's still giving me the problem. Just wondering if there's anything more I could do to get it working before I take it back to the shop. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:49 AM

Since you've done the basic troubleshooting it's likely that the shop will try another video card to see if it works. Do you have one that you can try in the place of the current one?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 motllah

motllah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:17 AM

No unfortunately I don't have any spares. Never tried installing one myself either.

Here's a post I made regarding this problem on another forum. It has some system specs that might give you some clues:

Yes, the length before it happens tends to vary. The error often occurs when I'm using video, but sometimes it will do it with just Soulseek and/or Firefox running.

I've got a temperature monitoring program called Speed Fan. The problem happened again about an hour ago and I've since restarted.
It tells me this (the temperature values fluctuate, so I'll approximate):

Fan 1: 1918 RPM
Fan 2: 2519 RPM
Fan 3: 0 RPM

Temp 1: 23 C
Temp 2: 38 C
Temp 3: 21 C
HD0: 41 C

All the fan speeds are set to 100%, but the 0 RPM value for Fan 3 makes me wonder if a fan has stopped working. Not sure off the top of my head if there's two or three fans in the tower. But the temperature doesn't seem too effected by it.

As for the computer specs, it's Windows XP SP2, the processor is an Intel Celleron 3.33GHz, the RAM is 1 gig, my main drive is referred to as an HDS722516VLAT80 (153 gig), and my external hard drive (which I watch a lot of videos files from) is a Samsung HD300LD USB Device (279 gig).

My motherboard died mid last year and it was replaced, along with the video card, power source and sound card. The system was formatted.

Not entirely sure of the voltage or model of the current power source. The guy at the shop told me that the previous one didn't have a high enough voltage and that the new one would run it all comfortably.

Also, the error from ATI's VPU Recover says:
VPU Recover has reset your graphic accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.

Edited by motllah, 11 January 2007 - 12:23 PM.

#4 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

sounds like it could be overheating. i don't know that there's much to be done about that. definitely take it back and get a replacement. if the problem persists, at least you'll know the card itself is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users