Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*hoping* To Buy A New Pc Soon, Need Comments/suggestions =d

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aljaud

Aljaud

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:23 AM

Updated!

Well, After needing a new PC for quite some time now, I'm planning on getting a new one soon, and I wan't it to be nice.

I mainly need it for gaming, and multitasking (A lot), But I Photoshop a lot, and am starting to do some 3d modeling, and I need a good enough CPU to power all my games, and multitasking, and a good video card for the 3d modeling/gaming.

Here is what I picked out so far, but It's a LITTLE bit too expensive, I'm trying to keep it under $2500, but hoping to go under $2000. - The Video card I currently have chosen is a must, but I'm not gonna get it for probably another month or two, so I'm waiting for the prices to drop. Also, I was considering an AMD Duel Core, But I really want an Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 or higher. I also want the option for SLI if I choose to do so later on, also I'd prefer Corsair Memory =D.... Anyways heres the wish list.

Btw, I'd like to overclock the CPU just so you know =D

Click Here to view the NEW Newegg Wishlist

Click Here to view the OLD Newegg Wishlist

Goals.
-Lower Price to under $2400 ($2000 Preferred)*
-Have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 6400+ preferred.
-Have an 8800GTX**
-Corsair RAM Preferred.
-Thermaltake Armor (Black) case preferred.

* - #1 Priority
** - Must Have =D.

Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Edited by Aljaud, 12 January 2007 - 03:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:25 AM

:huh: I like the Seagate hard drive and a Lite-On DVD burner with Lightscribe.

I would suggest that you go to the makers web site of each part and research them for "preferred compatibililty", so as to squeeze every ounce of power from your new machine.

If SLI is your preferred choice, make sure EVERY componet is ready to push this.

You can see some machines I have designed under the branding of Mica Machine, by clicking here.

:thumbsup:

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Ok, I retooled the list you had.

Monitor ViewSonic VG2030WM Black 20.1" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD $279.99 - $30.00
I upgraded the screen a little bit to make it more inline with what you do. But if you really want something good it'd have to be more expensive.

Motherboard ASUS P5N-E SLI $149.99
Uses the nForce 650i SLI, almost as fast as the super high-performance 680i SLI but a lot cheaper.

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 $318.00

Memory CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400 $264.00 - $40.00
I'm also partial to Corsair.

DVD LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe $36.99

Graphisc MSI NX8800GTX-T2D768E $569.99 - $30.00

Deasktop Logitech MX 5000 $115.99 - $20.00

Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620A 320GB $94.99

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista $139.99

TV-Tuner Hauppauge 1062 PCI Interface WinTV-PVR-150 MCE Kit Tuner Card $92.99

PSU FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX700-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W $139.99 - $11.00
You won't need this big a power supply unless you are going to upgrade to SLI.

Case Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum $149.99 - $25.00
Your case of choice.

I ditched the sound card because you won't have space for both a TV-Tuner and an sound card if you upgrade to SLI. I you rather get a sound card I'd recommend this. You won't need the extra heatsink, you get one with the processor. We are now down to $2353.00 - $156.00. There is still more that can be done, but that would hurt more in performance and features.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 11 January 2007 - 09:21 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

There has been some recent controversy about Asus mobo's on the web - I'd research your choice very thoroughly before committing to it.

Also, I just read about this nifty little TV card ( http://www.vistaview.tv/index.php?option=c...6&Itemid=33 ). It fits in a PCI-Ex1 slot so it may be of interest to you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

i know you want a 6400+ c2d, but i would suggest waiting a bit. intel is about to release the e4300 which comes with a stock speed of 1.8ghz but, according to reviews, it's ridiculously easy to overclock it up to 3.4ghz and it can beat out the c2d e6800.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...?i=2903&p=2

that article is a great read.

anyway, it's not a 6400, but it's a lot cheaper and can be OC'd to get better performance. and that's just with the stock cooler.

#6 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

Nice List Mr Alpha! :thumbsup:

The only thing I would change is the Mobo. Just as USASMA put it, Asus is a big question mark. I would just add in the MSI board that goes with your graphics card and things look very nice!

:huh: IMHO

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

That's the only motherboard with the 650i SLI chipset on the market at the moment. And it seems to be a really great chipset from a price/performance/features point of view.

If you are going to overclock then the choices will change of course.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Aljaud

Aljaud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for all the replies, and I forgot to put I most likely am overclocking the CPU, So I could probably get a cheaper one and OC it, but I'd rather not OC the video card. I tried OCing my video card once with some thing, that slowly OC's it then tests it for tearing/defects in the 3d render, and it almost killed it x.x lol. It still works but it randomly will crash the PC with wierd multicolored lines vertically on the screen.

But I read somewhere that either eVGA or BFG or something, I can remember, they include overclocking in the warranty, so you can OC it and it won't void the warranty, so I might OC it a bit If I get that warranty lol.

Anyways, I like Mr. Alpha's suggestions to the list, and I'll probably remake the wishlist with some of those items. Once I re-do the wishlist with some of your suggestions, I'll edit the original post with it =D

Edit: I've updated the original post with the new wishlist, and removed the wishlist in the post, its just kinda pointless when you can view everything in the wishlist, on the newegg page. =P - Also I looked it up, and I chose eVGA for the 8800GTX card due to its great warranty, and it comes with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic or w/e it's called, and I've hear it has great graphics, = will look good with the 8800GTX =D

Edited by Aljaud, 12 January 2007 - 06:13 AM.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:14 AM

If you're going to overclock waiting for the Core 2 Duo E4300 would be a really good idea. It is by far the best option for a price conscious overclocker.

#10 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

But wouldn't you rather have 4mb of L2 cache?

#11 Aljaud

Aljaud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

If you're going to overclock waiting for the Core 2 Duo E4300 would be a really good idea. It is by far the best option for a price conscious overclocker.

That's what I'm considering :thumbsup: - Just wondering, how much power would it have compared to the Core 2 Duo 6600, If I only wanted to overclock about 200-300mhz. I'll probably overclock it more, but I'm not gonna be trying to push 3.6ghz, etc lol.. I'm not much of an overclocker, but I deffinatly plan on overclocking it at least a little, But I still think I'm probably going to try and get the E6400 :huh:

Edited by Aljaud, 13 January 2007 - 01:29 AM.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:52 AM

My two cents: Make sure that your 8800 GTX video card can fit into your computer. I know someone who built his computer not realizing it was almost 11 inches long and had no room to install it. If you are going to upgrade your video card to SLI, I would get a 1000W power source. GTX cards need massive amounts of energy. I have a GTS in non-SLI and I need at least 300W. According to newegg a 400W power supply is needed. double that for SLI and add in a little extra power for everything else in a PC, and a 1000W would do nicely. But those are expensive and you can hold off on getting one until you decide to go SLI.

3939.png

#13 Aljaud

Aljaud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

My two cents: Make sure that your 8800 GTX video card can fit into your computer. I know someone who built his computer not realizing it was almost 11 inches long and had no room to install it. If you are going to upgrade your video card to SLI, I would get a 1000W power source. GTX cards need massive amounts of energy. I have a GTS in non-SLI and I need at least 300W. According to newegg a 400W power supply is needed. double that for SLI and add in a little extra power for everything else in a PC, and a 1000W would do nicely. But those are expensive and you can hold off on getting one until you decide to go SLI.

I knew about the length of the card, lol but I'm deffinatly not going to go SLI for proably a year or two at least, I just wanted the option to get SLI If I chose to later on, so If I choose to later on, I'll prolly go for a 1000w :thumbsup:

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:34 AM

You don't need a 1000W power supply for anything but quad-SLI. A GeForce 8800GTX uses about 150W, most of that of the 12V rail.

Oh, and overclock past 3.0 GHz is easy on these Core 2 Duos.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

You don't need a 1000W power supply for anything but quad-SLI. A GeForce 8800GTX uses about 150W, most of that of the 12V rail.

Oh, and overclock past 3.0 GHz is easy on these Core 2 Duos.

If it only uses 150W, why does all of the product info I have seen suggest at least a 450W power source? Well, the evga 8800GTX anyway. Could that be the maximum power it would draw under 100% load?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users