Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Laptops.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Muse81

Muse81

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:37 AM

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a high performance laptop, not silly money but something that will be good for both work and play for s few years to come. I REALLY like the look and from what I have heard the spec of the Alienware laptops, if a little dear for what they are. Has anyone had any experience with one of these machines/the customer support? Also could you suggest any other good brands?

Many thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Muse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:13 AM

Hi, Muse81!

I have enjoyed some time with one and it was perfect! You will really enjoy the performance of their machines. And they have some of the largest displays offered on a laptop. It will be widescreen however. The case designs are way cool, but will catch some attention, so keep it under lock and key. As for the customer support, I can say that I have worked with most of the medium-to-large computer makers and Alienware has shown to be above par for the industry. Last year, they were bought out by Dell (they own eMachines as well), but they have complete dedication to keeping Alienware alive.

If you want to check out the MightMica Awards (my site awards for software, hardware and computer parts) for the the top 5 laptop makers, just click here!

:flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#3 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

i hear all the time that they're overpriced for what they are. mostly that you are paying a premium for brand name recognition while build quality is comparable to most other makers. that's anecdotal evidence, though, as i've never used one nor do i know anyone who has.

i'd try creating a spec list of what you want/need and then shopping around on various sites to see how the price differs. i just bought a desktop from ibuypower.com and it's great. and pretty cheap for what i got. i don't know about their laptop builds, but it might be worth checking out.

Edited by dogslikeus, 11 January 2007 - 12:34 PM.

#4 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:42 AM

Thank you both for you replies.

I took a look at your site micaman, some very useful info on there thanks...those microphone gif images kept startling me for some reason though - must cut down on the caffeine :flowers: .

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Muse.

#5 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

When you're buying Alienware, like dogslikeus said, you're paying hundreds of dollars just for the brand name. Unless you have plenty of money to spare. Then don't buy it. You're better off some other smaller companies.

Try Voodoo, they're Canadian and damn good.
http://www.voodoopc.com/showroom.aspx?categoryID=2

Also, from what I've head, Alienware Customer Support is crap.

But to be honest, if you're gonna spend that much on a laptop. You're much better off with a MacBook Pro.

Edited by Detox, 12 January 2007 - 10:07 PM.

#6 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

Thanks 'Detox'. Yeah, the more I ask people for their opinions aboit alienware the more I realise how devided opinion is. For those English out there (I say that as I don't know if anywhere else actually eats the wretched stuff), it's like asking if you like marmite or not.

Muse :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users