Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Before My Head Explodes :(

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Muse81

Muse81

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:17 AM

OK, first I will list the relevant system spec (let me know if you need more info).

Hardware:

AMD Athlon™ 64 processor 3800+
1 Gb RAM
Dual graphics - 2x NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (128mb each)
Three 80 Gb H/Ds using Raid
17inch LCD Flatron LG monitor.

Windows 64 bit Professional (SP1)

OK the problem.

Well I had rather a lot of time on my hands a while back and so started playing World of Warcraft (or WoW). I did not for one second expect any trouble with my computer (a home build and new at the time) and I was very pleased to find this was the case to begin with. Even though I know it's not the most demanding game visually it was nice after having a shoddy computer to have all graphics set to maximum.

Anyway, gradually about 6 months ago the weirdest graphic effect started happening (just in that game to begin with - in fact only like 'that' in that game) - at it's VERY worst it looks like this: http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p47/muse81_album/Argh.jpg . Occasionally I get the odd green line or partial shading of a gradient in other games but NOTHING to this extent. The only other real offender is Fifa 2005 where I have a weird green horizontal line about 0.4 cm thick hovering about 2cm from the bottom of the screen all the time.

The other thing about the disturbance in WoW is that it's a bit like a detuned TV in the way it moves...like it's interference of some sort. Also only certain types of graphics seem to be affected...is this an indication it's software?

What do you think....is there hope? I now have a lvl 60 character on WoW who I can hardly use for feer of an epileptic seasure! lol Please please you are my last hope :thumbsup: .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:20 AM

Try reloading/upgrading the nvidia driver first. Might want to uninstall the current one from add/remove programs before you start. Current ones are from here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
Posted Image

#3 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention....I have tried installing the latest drivers...older drivers etc. I have even reinstalled the game (very pointless and time consuming).

#4 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

Defrag your brain, before you go insane! :trumpet:

:thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove: :bike:

No seriously, you need to update to SP2. Your drivers, software and games are optimized for SP2. Plus, you are missing out on A LOT by staying with SP1...

... :woot:

#5 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Lol :thumbsup: ... *commencing brain defrag*

Is SP2 available for Windows 64 bit version? I have auto update set up and it hasn't installed and I don't seem to be able to easily find a link.

Thanks in advance.

*Defrag at 2%...*

#6 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

Hi, Muse81!

:flowers: No, not yet!...I thought that they had, but I was wrong. Here is the main 64x site at Microsoft, if you haven't been there recently.

At least I was able to get you to do your BRAIN MAINTENANCE! :trumpet: You will now enjoy faster reboot times, improved performance, less heat build-up and extended hard drive life!

:thumbsup:

#7 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for all that info....and the old head feels a lot cooler now even if the game's still kaput lol. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Muse.

#8 Aberfocation

Aberfocation

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:11 AM

is the graphic problem solved yet? after installing sp2 and all the lastest drivers?
Computer Nubie =X

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

If there isn't anything wrong with the drivers and it's STILL artifacting that badly, it may just be a dying video card. You can try it in a different game or with dxdiag and see if it's just a WoW thing, but it looks like a bad card.
Posted Image

#10 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

Hi there,

Firstly thanks 'Aberfocation' for your enquiery but unfortunately as mentioned above it seems that SP 2 is not yet available for the 64 bit version of windows. I have, however, already installed the latest nvidia drivas to no avail :thumbsup: .

Thanks for those suggestions 'arcman'....I am starting to fear that the cards are dead too which really anoys me given their age and (to me at least) relative decent quality. However any resolution would be better than not knowing...it's really driving me mad. If they are kaput so be it.
As I mentioned it is fine in all other games except Fifa 05 where I get a funny green line effect occurring - I will attempt to get a screeny of this for you.

Thanks again.

Muse

Edited by Muse81, 12 January 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#11 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

it actually looks like its overheating to some extent...lol

I remember having an issue similar to this and I checked the core temp fo my card and it was like 120, Have you tried looking at temps when running this?

No, its not hte most graphic game demanding, But it is really high in memory demand and everything, And, I have to say it

how could you do it! haha, Worst game ever to get addicted to, I know personally :thumbsup:, If the temperature thing isn't the problem then yea, You have a dying card, Which Sucks Majorly, but, Atleast its not the entire thing going bye

#12 Muse81

Muse81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hi there,

That is a very good point 'resp'. I have quite a lot packed into my case as it is so the ambient temp in there must be fairly high and I dnt have a flashy liquid cooling system or anything. I would explain why it gets so much worse after a while (thou I don't understand why places lice the cities are unaffected). I feer though the damage may have been done but as you said it could be far worse than a dead craphics card.

And you're also right about WoW....horrid addiction lol :thumbsup:

Cheers

Muse

#13 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:45 PM

Unless you're allergic to dust, And assuming you're in a cool area / room of your house Id go out and buy compressed air from any office supply store and then pop the case off and give it a good cleanover with that, see if it helps and maybe keep the siding of your case off for a while to see , I only recommend it throuhg the fact that I do it, and my case rarely has a heating problem,

just a heads up though, Make sure you don't shake your can or anything and... It does get cold, So prepare for that, it gets freezing...

Edited by resp, 13 January 2007 - 02:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users