Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help, Bought Case Cannot Find Compatable Mb

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vavaig

vavaig

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:52 AM

Hello. I have just recently purchased this case to start my first computer build. Here is a link to it: Computer Case ... You know, nice and cheap but still nice looking. Upon arrival I made a first timer mistake and didn't look at the pictures close enough to check the back of it. I cannot find any motherboard that will fit in the setup. (See pictures at the link.) It is a quite weird setup like that. I was wondering if anyone knew of a motherboard with this setup? It has the keyboard/mouse plugin hole at the top (typical), but then right under it is the USB/Network hole. The Sound/Mic holes are vertical on the left. I have never seen a motherboard like this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

Unless I am mistaken it doesn't matter how the grating is setup with the actual case , any motherboard will fit so that you can use that stuff in that grating and since it is detachable theres no real issue with it, As I said, Ic ould be mistaken and this could be an exeperienced retarded comment

the case itself looks actualy pretty nice, wish I got one like it when I was shopping

someone will probably post to either back me up on this one or say otherwise ID wait for the second reply

#3 vavaig

vavaig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:01 AM

Well, It does matter. I tried switching over a motherboard from a different computer I had and it didn't match up. The back metal grating thing isn't removeable. It all has to match up or it won't fit sadly.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:41 AM

That case will accept ATX, AT, and Micro ATX. Would the motherboard that you are trying to fit in there be a BTX form factor? See if your looks like the one on this page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:13 AM

The back I/O shield has to be removable.
It's gotta be, because almost every motherboard has a different layout and comes with its own custom I/O shield.

If it's not, then it's completely worthless as a case. You won't be able to fit most any boards in there if you're not prepared to take a dremel to the I/O. Double check that it doesn't punch out out screw out. If it's truly permanent then send the case back.
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:30 AM

A close look at the picture of the back of the case shows similar construction to many other cases that I've worked on. You should be able to push the shield out from the inside of the case. BUT, make sure you have an I/O shield for the motherboard - otherwise there'll be a big hole in the back and your mobo may not be properly grounded.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

copied from the link you provided for your case info:
Nice that motherboard tray can come out of case. Makes installation very easy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on Intel's Chassis Air Design Guide, Aspire's Apevia X-Cruiser Black computer case works with any Standard ATX, Baby AT and Micro ATX motherboard, and is designed to promote cool, quiet operation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as quality goes, the metal seems a little soft, and I had to be very careful not to strip out screws. The back panel "knockouts" are a pain; I'd rather see blank covers with screws for the slots instead.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 vavaig

vavaig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

Well thanks for using the copy and paste option. You'd think I would read the comments and summaries before purchasing, no? Thanks for the "help" buddy215, but that was all self explanatory.
usasma- So when I buy a motherboard (probably off of newegg), They will include an I/O shield with it? When I took a closer look at the inside of the case, I can remove the I/O shield by just removing 2 screws, this one in it now is quite flimsy anyway. As long as they include a new shield for it I know I can switch it out now. Thanks for the help.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

I/O shields are universally flimsy (dunno why). Every case I've gotten has had one included - and none ever fit the mobo that I chose. But each mobo that I've purchased has come with an I/O shield (flimsy again) that works with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users