Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Defrag Or Not To Defrag Networked Pcs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CQatBC

CQatBC

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

Hi from a newbie in the UK.
I'm afraid I'm not very pc-lit yet but i'm trying very hard to learn by reading these forums,so please bear with me and forgive me if this question seems stupid to you!
I have 2 pcs at home that both operate Windows XP and I use AOL 9 Broadband Gold for internet connection/browsing.One of my pcs is a year old Acer Wireless laptop but the 2nd is a an older Advent desktop pc and they're networked using a Netgear Wireless ADSL router and Netgear Wireless USB adapter.Both pcs have been running very slowly lately and I was having trouble closing progs,loading pages on ebay etc. Someone advised me to use disk cleanup and defrag on them to tidy up the machines and speed them up a little.This seems to have worked a treat on the laptop but meanwhile a 2nd person told me that by doing the same to my desktop older pc I may upset the networking settings of both of them.I'm afraid to touch it now in case this is true.Can anyone please reliably advise me one way or the other?If it's safe I would like to do it and hopefully get as good results as I did with my laptop.
Thanks very much for your time spent reading this.CQ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Doing a disk clean up is a good idea but as for upsetting the network....lol. First before you start any thing go to system restore and create a manual restore point. I would say your browser needs a clean out as well. If you are using IE go to Tools; options; clean out history, cookies, temp files.
Then you can start:
1) disk clean up
2) run an anti spyware program e.g. spybot
3) run defrag
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

Defragging will not upset your network. All it does is move the files into a better order - and then tells the system where the new "bits" are located. Has nothing to do with the network.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 CQatBC

CQatBC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

Thanks very much for your replies guys but something went wrong somewhere!
I haven't defragged the desktop pc ,but since the laptop was done I can't log on to AOL or get on the internet at all using the desktop pc, without having to switch the plug off at the mains for 10-20 seconds first.This seems to reset the router but I've no idea why I have to do it.AOL's onscreen"DNS server unreachable " message tells me it detects firewall software, but all the permissions are set to allow all AOL applications given, on both pcs.I've had spybot on both for a while now and run them often.I didn't create a system restore point when I defragged the laptop to be honest ,because I knew nothing of them.
Any ideas what happened,and shall I call the engineer asap? lol.The router subject terrifies me-as does the security thing!

#5 Press2Esc

Press2Esc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

Thanks very much for your replies guys but something went wrong somewhere!
I haven't defragged the desktop pc ,but since the laptop was done I can't log on to AOL...

This is likely a blessing in disguise... :thumbsup: Your firewall is working well - it is blocking spyware (aka AOL). Temperarily disable your firewall & your AOL will likely work. Once you are back online w/AOL; re-enable your firewall and you should be ok... until the time AOL screws up your network settings.

P2E

Edited by Press2Esc, 14 January 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:47 AM

It seems that there's an issue with the Network settings that AOL doesn't like - I doubt that it's related to the defragging - it's more likely that it's a problem with the settings on the PC (since the other connects reliably).

BTW - A system restore point wouldn't do anything with regard to the defrag - the same files still exist - they're just put in better order on the hard drive.

I suspect the AOL software (as I've done this many, many times with my systems without a problem - I don't have AOL on my system). Perhaps a reinstall of the AOL software may help this?

Also, when you reboot the router, it's best to turn the PC off also. Leave them off for 2-3 minutes, then turn the router on. Wait 2-3 minutes and then turn the PC on. This gives the hardware time to initialize and acquire the necessary adresses.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users