Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop Up After Virus Scan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

:cool: I was working on this PC that was so infected with the Rontok Bro Virus, it had got in and disabled the PC's (Windows 2000) antivirus program, Symatec 9.0 Corporate Edition,anyways I managed to get rid of the virus by slaving it to another PC's hard disk and running a full scan.
All the programs are working okay but everytime I turn the PC on I get this popup message and its quite frustrating, the pop up reads

"Cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\KesenjanganSosial.exe (or one of its components)".
Make sure the part and file name are correct and that all required libraries are availabe.

and there's this option to click OK to get it out of the way.. :flowers: :trumpet:

1.Is there anyway to do with the registry or just about anything I can do to get rid of this silly pop up message ?:cool:
2. Is the virus still hidden somewhere in the PC thats causing the pop up to appear every time? :woot:

Please help me get rid of this pop up.......!!!!! :inlove: :thumbsup:
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:52 AM

I would do a secondary scan if I were you, if that type of message is coming up it means a couple of things

1) theres still sections of the virus that are attempting to run still
or
2) the virus has imbedded itself in startup and as such windows is still trying ot start it up

you could probably find it in the registry as to where.. you got me on that one... probably somewhere in the current user system type area, but I dunno on that one

try going start --> run MSconfig and see if theres an entry related to that that's trying to startup, if so get rid of it

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:13 AM

Try running your virus scan in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Also run a couple of online virus scans, just to be sure:
BitDefender
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

And this trojan scanner:
TrojanScan
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Once you've ensured that the virus is gone, search the registry for the path - it'll most likely turn up in the Run key in either HKLM or HKCU. Delete it and it should go away.

An easier way is to use Mike Lin's free StartupCPL available here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

If it doesn't show in StartupCPL, this more powerful tool (still free) may help: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

Finally, you can also locate these things (most times) by using HiJackThis. Just be careful using it, because you can hose a lot of stuff with just a few mouse clicks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

Thanks very very much John, I managed to get rid of it, with the tool - Autorun

Thanks again the pop up is gone forever.
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:56 AM

It's good to hear that you fixed it! Do you recall where the key was located or what it was named? This'll help others who are faced with the same problem!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

:thumbsup: The key was located somewhere in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
or in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

but I am sure it was in the HKLM

After I deleted it in the registry it went away for good.
:flowers:
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users