Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Making Odd Noises.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 larch

larch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

A Short Background:
I've been having some problems with my system not going into standby mode. The hard drive seems like it just doesn't want to shut off (But shuts off fine when shutting down). I posted the problem here Other thread. I haven't had time to do the reinstall of XP yet and am waiting until this weekend when I'll have some free time.

Issue Now:
My hard drive started to make these kind of odd noises a couple of days ago while it is idle. It's a kind of "clicking" , "chirping". It's a similar noise it makes when it shuts down, restarts, or goes into standby/hibernation. I found it odd because it just started to make these noises recently and quite often while idly spinning. They sound to be somewhat repetitive, making the same noise in a given amount of time. It seems to only rarely make the noise while I'm using the computer.

I have a '03 Dell Inspiron 8500.
40 GB Hitachi HDD.

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

Not sure, but this could be two separate problems... First of all, clicking on a hard drive (as seen in former threads) could mean its about to fail. I would backup important data right away. Not sure though...never happened to me.

And for the standby mode, you might be able to change standby settings in the bios to find a standby mode that will shut off the hard drive. (S3\S4 maybe)

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Check the sound against the ones in the link below. Any new sound your harddrive is making is not good. Get prepared to change it.
http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowtree.ns...0c?OpenDocument
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 larch

larch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

I checked the sounds that buddy215 linked to and it's none of them. It's not really a mechanical noise. It's more of an "electronic" noise. The drive is quiet while it makes the noise, there's no spin up or anything.
I wish I could record it some how... it's close to the noise the computer makes when it's is processing. Not the "grinding" noise, but it's kind of like that as far as sounding "electronic." That make any sense?... heh...

Anyway, I don't get it. It just started happening about 3-4 days ago... Thanks again for the replys.

PS> how do you edit the BIOS?

Edited by larch, 10 January 2007 - 08:34 PM.

#5 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

I would still be concerned about the hard drive noise... and recording it could help the problem... maybe its just like my older hard drives that are the loudes thing in the system. But if it jus started doing it and its unnatural, it could be a big problem. I would still backup important files.

To edit bios, push del\F1 or something (depends on what motherboard you have) when your computer is starting up. Usually when it shows a summary screen or logo. Before Windows loads. Look at your motherboard manual though. Bios can be pretty complicated and hard to understand.

#6 larch

larch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:13 PM

Thanks nforce. I've ready scary things about hard drive noises, so I've taken your advice and backed up anything I want to keep. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply.

#7 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

You can run the IBM Drive Fitness Test (bootable) to verify the integrity of your drive, should know for certain then if you need to replace it or not.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

Sorry, I duplicated buddy215's post before I checked the link! :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 11 January 2007 - 09:23 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 larch

larch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

Thanks arcman. I've run the quick test and it came up with "disposition Code 0x00"

Thanks usasma, even if you did double post. ;)

#10 Myxomorph

Myxomorph

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

I might have the same sound in my laptop, although it still made it after i took the HD out. Is it a high-pitched rhythmic chirping? Mine reminds me of a wet car belt when it's squeaky.

Also, i dont want to post a new thread if we have the same problem. =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users