Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So Glad We Don't Live Anywhere Else ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

The below makes me so incredibly glad that we don't live in Almaty - heartbreaking.

21 doctors, officials face charges in Kazakhstan for causing HIV outbreak
Provided by: Canadian Press
Jan. 9, 2007
[

ALMATY, Kazakhstan (AP) - Twenty-one doctors and health officials have been charged with criminal offences that caused an HIV outbreak in southern Kazakhstan, the chief prosecutor's office said Tuesday.

Blood transfusions from unchecked donors or contaminated needles have been blamed for the infections among 84 children, most of them under the age of three. Some 12 mothers also have tested positive for HIV since the first child cases were registered in the city of Shymkent last summer.

Seven children have already died of AIDS-related diseases, while a heart condition caused the death of an eighth, officials said.

The Chief Prosecutor's office said in a statement Tuesday that it had completed its investigations and charged 21 doctors and health officials with negligence. Some of them were also charged with bribery, extortion and theft of state funds, it said.

All cases have been transferred to court, the statement said.

Authorities have checked thousands of children who were feared to have contracted HIV at hospitals in Shymkent, some 1,600 kilometres south of the capital, Astana.

The Central Asian nation has been shocked by the outbreak, and subsequent nationwide inspections have revealed numerous cases of incompetence and corruption among doctors and nurses.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

This is not an incident. The same is going on in Libya. Here is the full article

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the link fozzie - it's enough to make one weep. What a waste of human lives and I find the entire thing just mind-boggling. Yup, I grumble at our tax level here sometimes but just reading stuff like this makes me realize just how incredibly lucky I am to be living here.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the link fozzie - it's enough to make one weep. What a waste of human lives and I find the entire thing just mind-boggling. Yup, I grumble at our tax level here sometimes but just reading stuff like this makes me realize just how incredibly lucky I am to be living here.

How anyone could willfully inflict this scourge on a fellow human being defies comprehension.No one is safe,no matter where we live.Aids doesn't discriminate.Aids in Africa has killed 17 million and 25 million are expected to die from this dreadful disease.There are millions of children in Africa who have no Mother or Father,and a lot of the children are born with Aids through no fault of their own.

These medicos and nurses who are guilty af such a crime against humanity,should be dealt with in the strongest way imagineable,because they didn't show and compassion.Iv'e no sympathy for them whatsoever.
I have provided a graphic link merely to show what these doctors and nurses were inflicting on others.

http://www.time.com/time/2001/aidsinafrica/photo.html

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:27 AM

As far as being dealt with don't worry. Mr Khadaffi will do that in the most serious way. (Most likely capital punishment) The rightning thing about these situations is where is this world going to. I am in my early 50's but I sincerrely worry for my kids who have still a long way to go

#6 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

Truly a heartbreaking story. Those that have knowingly inflicted this disease on others should suffer the same punishment, and have AIDS ravage their bodies.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users