Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

30 Minutes Of Static Needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'm hoping to fix my sleep pattern by blocking out the general noise of a dorm/college at 2 am. I plan to attach my ipod to the wall above my bed and have static play through the tiny ear-buds. Hopefully this will drown out any noise and help me fall into sleep. There are a few problems though.

I have been able to find small files of static, but i don't think those will help me. I need to be able to hear my alarm in the morning, so if i were to put the track on repeat, i may not be able to hear the alarm. So i'm looking for an extended duration of static, say 30/40 minutes, so that i can play it once or twice so i can fall into sleep, and it'll stop after too long.

So, does anyone know where i can download something like this? Or how to make a long static track? It doesn't matter what format it is in, i can convert it.

Thanx in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hey mate, I have some 'whitenoise' that maybe helpful. I have 2 versions of the same track, both are in an MP3 format and last around 10 minutes, although I maybe able to alter the duration. Alternatively why dont you just use the repeat function and set your alarm on your watch, mobile/cellular, TV PC or some other device?

If you want to try out my whitenoise, then send me your e-mail address and I`ll send you the 64kbit (4meg version) to try out.

a) Size: 9750152 bytes
MPEG-1 layer 3
128kbit, approx. 23325 frames
44100Hz Stereo
CRCs: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: No, Emphasis: None

:thumbsup: Size: 4875912 bytes
MPEG-2 layer 3
64kbit, approx. 23329 frames
22050Hz Stereo
CRCs: No, Copyrighted: No
Original: No, Emphasis: None
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

Rain is also a good redundant noise that might help you fall asleep easier, and can also prove to be relaxing. You can buy a "rain fall" CD from a store that sells Nature sounds CD's.

Listening to static for 30 minutes would make me mad and want to change the station. If you wake up really really grumpy, then stop listening to static :flowers: :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

You could use Audacity to record radio static, or to generate some white noise.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:53 PM

Thanx for the program TG, but how exactly would i record static? I tried hitting record and recording from a microphone (i have no mic hooked up) to see if it would register as static, but it didn't? What's the best way to produce constant static w/ audacity?

Steve, i've heard a lot about nature sounds and stuff. I know they sell ambient sound cd's extremely cheap, but i'm sort of looking for something cheaper..... i.e. free, lol.

EDIT: Nevermind tg, i figured it out. Had to go to "generate", then "white noise"..... pays to look around a bit....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 10 January 2007 - 11:55 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

You're welcome, Heretic Monkey.
Is that the kind of noise you were looking for?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

Yeah, it's perfect tg. The static was a little higher-pitched than i was looking for, but quickly figured out how to mix in a low tone to balance it out.

And to Firekraker, thanx for the offer, but for some reason i never got the tracks. Dunno if it was because you didn't get my PM or what, but i'd still like those audio bits. Check your message box for my e-mail you should use.

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hope you're not going to start interrogating people with this whitenoise! check your e-mail matey!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

Thanx for the link FK, but that was almost exactly what i made using Audacity. I appreciate the response, though.

#10 ColoradoHermit

ColoradoHermit

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi ya. I know it's been a while since you posted this. I found this while looking for something else. Any who, if your still looking for the static, white noise, or other background sounds check out Amazon.com. Search MP3 downloads for "sound effects", there's a bunch of them to choose from for only .89 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users