Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Having Some Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hello, I have had my Pc for a while, It's a DELL dimension 2400 varient

P4 2.8ghz
768MB RAM
320GB HDD
FX5500 graphics card
Sound blaster audigy 4.

Recently, I had trouble instaling files, it converted them to .msi and then corrupted them. (I fixed that)

The next problem was opening notepad, it kept on saying access denied (I fixed that)

I tried to do the windows file protection checker (sfc /scannow) it jams and says that my windows disc is damaged (I fixed that)

The next problem it threw at me was that it refused to let me load my creative sound tools (EAX) (I fixed that)

I dont know what is happening, but everytime I try and do something the Pc finds some way of saying no to me.

The latest 2 problems it has layed in front of me are.

Administrative tools in control panel are missing
My registry has decided that I (admin) do not have the right to alter the reg.

As much as I like fixing my computer, this is going beyond a joke.

I have nod32, superantispyware, sptware terminator, comodo firewall, And have searched for rootkits.

Does anyone know what is happening or how I can make it all stop breaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

Not to sound like a repetitive nancy but Id try an online scan to ensure that theres nothing wrong

PandaActiveScan - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co...n_principal.htm
Click "Scan Your PC"

that's part of a canned speech I got from malwareremoval

run that and see if it picks anything up

I wouldn't be so parnoid about possible infections if you didnt' mention administrative tools disapearring from control panel that to me sounds like a virus is running amuck in your computer that your current scanner doesnt' detect but run it and see for yourself

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply,
I used the panda online scanner, it came back with 5 tracking cookies, I got rid of them. As you said it could be a virus that nod 32 missed, I just ran bit defender, it found a virus, which is now consigned to the abyss.

I have done a restart and admin tools are still missing.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

As resp stated, it's always a good idea to do multiple scans. I'd suggest trying these also to ensure that you're "clean":

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Also, it's possible that the fixing of a virus (at one point) by NOD32 is the actual cause of these glitches. Sometimes the infection is so pervasive that removing it will break other things. So, here's what I suggest trying next.....

Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW (again) to try and fix it.

Should that fail, then you may want to try a repair install of XP (it'll leave your programs and data intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

I tried both of those scans, they both came back as ok,
I tried the sfc /scannow before, it said my xp cd was damaged and it couldn't read it, so I have copied the I386 folder of the cd on to the hard drive and altered the registry to search I386 for the files needed. the scan gets to the end and the box disappears, Still no change.

It looks as if the repair option is my best bet

Cheers for your help
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

Right click the taskbar, choose "properties", then "start menu" and the "customize" button. Now the advanced tab, scroll down and see how admin tools is set to display.
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hello, thanks for the reply

It is set to display item in the start menu, when i hover over it, it says empty. In control panel, if I click on admin tools it just displays an empty folder. I can still get the event viewer and others if I search for them, but that situation is not ideal
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users