Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP-98SE LAN-98 can't see XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 huskeyja

huskeyja

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

BleepingComputer helped me fix a CoolWebSearch infection. It was working fine, with shared folders and with sharing printers. Now I cannot get my 98 machine to see my XP machine on my home network. Here's the configuration:

Motorola modem to Comcast; cabled to Linksys BEFSR41 V3 router, router connects XP and 98SE machines with ethernet cable (100ms). DHCP enabled, automatic IP addresses. Router is 192.168.1.1; 98SE is 192.168.1.101; XP is 192.168.1.100.

- Both computers see the internet fine.
- XP machine can ping everything fine. 98SE cannot ping 192.168.1.101 (XP), the ping times out. 98SE CAN ping all DNS server addresses, though one wasn't perfect once, then worked fine: 68.48.0.13; 68.87.96.15; 68.48.0.5.

I've tried:
- XP machine: TCP/IP reconfig/renew; enabled guest account; disabled firewall; running the home network wizard about 12 times, ensured shared folders were shared.
- 98SE: Reinstalled TCP/IP and Client for MS Networks.
- Updated firmare successfully on router.
- Turned IEEE 802.1x authentication on and off.
- All cabling/connections looked fine.
- No hardware errors that I can find.

Checked settings. Only suspicious settings on XP machine are: run ipconfig, Node type is shown as unknown; primary DNS suffix is blank; RDPNP
Status = Unknown. (Please note, I know very little about networking, these may be normal!) 98SE shows node type as Broadcast.

Other data:
- When fixing the malware problem, I stopped a running process, Network Security Services. Do I need to re-enable it? I deleted the file it referred to as instructed by one of the malware experts.
- Neither machine shows up on the other's network neighborhood. When I try with the XP machine to view workgroup computers, it times out and tells me MSHome is not available.
- The networking wizard has always worked virtually automatically for me before. The only two changes I've done is fix the malware problem on XP and updated the router firmware (trying to make it more secure).

At this point, I don't know what else to do. Appreciate any tips/help you can give me. Thanks, Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 huskeyja

huskeyja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:56 AM

Forgot to add...
- XP machine can't see "mshome"; also, the XP machine CAN map the shared drive of the 98SE machine as a network drive.
- Tried a network switch only, reconfigured computers for local lan with XP machine as server, 98SE as client (prior setup before broadband). Had the same problem. Put everything back to the state Iím in now. I think this eliminates the router as a problem.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:14 AM

You have any software firewalls on the machine? Also do me a favor and post a new hijackthis log in the spyware forums. That fact that you had that service may mean its back.

#4 huskeyja

huskeyja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:46 PM

:thumbsup: Grinler, thanks yet again. I was running an old PCcillin (2000?) and Trend just stopped supporting it. Their web site said I could upgrade to Trend Internet Security, so I did. Then I found out it was a 30 day eval. Nowhere in the installation was I told it enabled a firewall by default...I should have checked. Anyway, I disabled the firewall, reinstalled the network, and it's working fine.

I checked again with HijackThis. No changes from last time.

Once again, you had the answer. I'm becoming incrementally smarter each time I haunt you for help... :flowers:

Can you recommend a good registry cleaner to get rid of all the garbage entries that were dumped on me by CoolWebSearch? None of them are harming me, I guess, but probably some are still there taking up space.

Thanks again, Jim

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:56 PM

Ill be honest I do not use any registry cleaners as I am too scared they will delete something by mistake.

Maybe someone else will ahve a suggestions for you

#6 Haus

Haus

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:42 PM

Hello
I have used Registry Mechanic before, only as a last resort, when friends & family have it totaly out of wack, and seemed to do a good job.

www.winguides.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users