Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taser Stun Guns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#61 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

I get sick of teenagers telling me how mature they are all the time.Their Record speakes for itself.

excuse me if im being rude, but no-one else's record should 'speak' for me. . . the only person that i should have to account for is myself.

Good on you Ambellina for realising you are responsible for your own actions. :thumbsup:
If more young people realised that,we wouldn't be discussing it now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#62 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Here's a scenerio CGM3.Two thugs spring you from behind to rob you with intent,their pistols aimed right at your head.What do you do?Say hold on for a minute guys while I decide which weapon I'm going to use on you.The moment you reach for your pockets,you have a good chance of meeting your maker.
I would hope,seeing I'm unarmed,the thugs just take my wallet and run.After all I don't think the thugs got up that morning and said,Hey guys,we are going to kill someone today.My guess they discussed robbing someone,and if every thing turns to crap,we may have to use our persuaders.They want your money with the least resistence possible,and I am only too happy to oblige.Iv'e been lucky so far being unarmed and I wouldn't even contemplate changing.

Constantine I believe we are lucky you don't live in the States. It would be one more bleeding heart enabling the thugs to have a leg up on the average citizen.
You want to talk hate? Look in the mirror, or read most any world publication. More venom if spewed at the States than any other Country in the world. The truth is the States commit more resources than the next 5 Countries combined to countries and peoples around the World. Look at the UN. No doubt the single most corrupt organization in the World. I have not seen any of the major countries call for the heads of the UN.
The fact is more people around the world would LOVE to live in our poverty, or combat our crime, or tolerate our substandard health care than stay where they are. You have bought that "Made for TV" lie that the main stream press and our elites want you to believe.
The truth is you can come to the States...
Pennyless, and make a million.
Be here illegal and receive the best health care in the world.
Receive an education second to none.
Own property, a business, a home, or send most of their money home (25billion to Mexico last year).
Or just about anything else they want.
Go ahead and bash the US. Stay where you are at, it's getting crowded over here because of all the legal and illegal out of country visitors.

Hoorah. :thumbsup:

I'm proud to be an American despite our troubles, that doesnt mean im a racist either! theres a difference between intolerance and patriotic unity. (although i do acknowledge some people take this too far, just as with any religion or belief, ex. terrorists.)
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#63 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

There are many Americans who would take Constantine's criticisms personally; however, his points can't be denied or ignored.

We can become angry and defensive, never facing let alone solving these problems; or we can analyze them and find solutions. I believe that it is a worthy goal for our culture to mature to the point where objective criticism is used to better ourselves rather than simply be taken as an insult.

Constantine: while you make good points, all countries have pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses; yours included. Most every country also has dark events in the past. The question is, what do we do with all of this? Hide from it, attack each other based on what our ancestors did...or learn from history's mistakes and move foreword?
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#64 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

There are many Americans who would take Constantine's criticisms personally; however, his points can't be denied or ignored.

We can become angry and defensive, never facing let alone solving these problems; or we can analyze them and find solutions. I believe that it is a worthy goal for our culture to mature to the point where objective criticism is used to better ourselves rather than simply be taken as an insult.

Constantine: while you make good points, all countries have pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses; yours included. Most every country also has dark events in the past. The question is, what do we do with all of this? Hide from it, attack each other based on what our ancestors did...or learn from history's mistakes and move foreword?

You are right. I take it very personal. When ypou attack my house and family you attack me. With all Constantine stabbed at he should look at his own country. I did a Google on two words, "Australia" and "racism". I received nearly 2 million hits. Man your people could give lessons. I seem to remember something about Australia displacing several million (more like tens of millions) of native Australians. Yeah you have alot to be proud of.
You like numbers and headlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_overboard
http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/1175.htm
http://www.countercurrents.org/au-polya131004.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/message/news/stories/s1326898.htm
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/dec2005/sepa-d22.shtml

If you want to clean things up why don't you start at home. The utopia you have "Down under" appears to be at the muzzle of a gun carried by your government.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#65 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

Of course there are adults who are not mature also,but not nearly as many as there are teenagers who are not mature.Don't tell us how mature you think you are,let us tell you when your record improves.

As a teenager myself I find that a little well rude and offensive.

YOU CANT JUDGE A COUNTRY/KIND ON A FEW.

Those kids that dropped a block on that man should be given the death sentence or life in jail and nothing less. Thats just plain out stupid and it has happened here in the us in my state infact I think.

Some kids dropped a huge rock off a bridge and killed some person.
Some kids were also shooting at cars as they went by with a BB gun.

What you said about teens wasnt right. I dont judge the whole of Australia because I see some guys playing with crocks so I say "they must all be that crazy".

Its true some are not smart and not mature. We are still learning. But most of us can understand throwing a rock off a bridge onto a car is going to hurt and or kill someone it hits.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 16 January 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#66 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:00 AM

I think the term 'many' teenagers was meant.

Re: "YOU CANT JUDGE A COUNTRY/KIND ON A FEW".
In reality, most crimes are caused by teenagers. Not a nice fact but a true one. Not just in the United States but in most countries. So unfortunately it's not "a few" that are involved.

And it's young man below the age of 25 that are mainly are responsible for high accident rates - ergo, higher car insurance rates for young men. Not fair to the good ones, but the 'majority' rules unfortunately.

And I'm sure the good and responsible teenagers must be just as frustrated with these twits as the rest of us are?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#67 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:03 AM

I get sick of teenagers telling me how mature they are all the time.Their Record speakes for itself.

excuse me if im being rude, but no-one else's record should 'speak' for me. . . the only person that i should have to account for is myself.

Good on you Ambellina for realising you are responsible for your own actions. :thumbsup:
If more young people realised that,we wouldn't be discussing it now.

I have given my reply in this post.This is my opinion and we agree to disagree.
By the way because of throwing the concrete off the bridge and killing the driver,it cost many millions of dollars to erect large stainless steel barriers on every overhead bridge in the country.My tax dollars could have been better spent on the needy.IMHO.
Medical journals state that the brain does not mature till the early 20's and thats why there are so many restrictions placed on us by the Government that say you can't do this or can't do that until a person reaches 21 yrs of age.
CGM3, The crazy teenagers give the sensible teenagers a bad name.I have taken teenagers on shooting trips years ago,and some show incredible common sense for their age,and some Iv'e taken the gun off them and made them walk home.

Please quote my entire post in all fairness

Edited by DSTM, 17 January 2007 - 12:40 AM.

#68 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:46 AM

And I'm sure the good and responsible teenagers must be just as frustrated with these twits as the rest of us are?

As a responsible teenager yes I do wonder why kids do such stupid things. I have saw kids do stuff where I wanted to go over there and beat the mess out of them for vandalizing or trying to on property thats not theirs.

True DSTM you didnt say all teens were un-responsible.

#69 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

You are right. I take it very personal. When ypou attack my house and family you attack me. With all Constantine stabbed at he should look at his own country. I did a Google on two words, "Australia" and "racism". I received nearly 2 million hits. Man your people could give lessons. I seem to remember something about Australia displacing several million (more like tens of millions) of native Australians. Yeah you have alot to be proud of.
You like numbers and headlines.

If you want to clean things up why don't you start at home. The utopia you have "Down under" appears to be at the muzzle of a gun carried by your government.

As if the US doesn't know anything about displacing native populations... :thumbsup:

Like I say, you can point fingers all you want...every country has flaws, every country has skeletons in the closet. So we can choose to bash one another, or we can choose to learn from each other's mistakes.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#70 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

As if the US doesn't know anything about displacing native populations... :thumbsup:

Like I say, you can point fingers all you want...every country has flaws, every country has skeletons in the closet. So we can choose to bash one another, or we can choose to learn from each other's mistakes.

I am quite aware of my history and the evil conducted over several centuries. The problems I have are hypocrites like Constantine who pretend that the States are the only ones responsible for the bad in this world. Unfortunately we not only have to put up with the trash talk from the 3rd world but we get it from inside as well. Our politicians have stabbed us in the back and go along with it. I would love to see the countries that bash the States refuse our aid and money.
Then we have a discussion about a US problem, and I do acknowledge it is a problem, and you have a johnny no nothing take a sucker punch and then crawls back under his rock. You popup and suggest I just let it go. Take it on the chin. Not for a New York minute. If you want to take a poke at me or mine start a topic and direct it at me. I am a bug boy and have no problems taking a shot to the head. Bring it on, but don't think for one minute I will not defend myself.
I have learned quite a bit from Constantine. I learned he is great at pulling information off of political site and blindly posting them. When he posted his trash about gun violence he failed to mention that violence in the States has been dropping since 1975 (per 100,000). That handgun violence has dropped since the early-90's. Just like it has for Australia from the late-60s to present, where the handgun use in murder has fallen off from 44% to a present 17%. And by the way we have more people is several of our biggest Metro Areas than you have in your country (20 million). You cannot even begin to imagine the problems we have and the handgun, or gun in general, play a small part. 16,000 murders. We have 300,000,000 people in this country and 66%+ live in areas of more than 250,000.
I would love to say you don't bother me, but your self righteous attitude sets me off.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#71 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Wow, not too sure how we so quickly swung from a discussion about tasers to such anger, but perhaps it's simply because perceptions of one another, including our countries, is based on just that, 'perceptions'.

Often what we hear about other is slanted mightily by news, both television and paper - and it's often easy to forget that while violence exists in most countries, most of these same countries are made up of peaceful, wonderful people.

I can understand when Constantine listed all the things perceived as 'wrong' with the States, but he also did say, "This is what I think" - the operative word here being "think"?

Can also understand other members taking it as a personal 'attack' against their beloved country - but while I can't speak for Constantine, perhaps he meant that in spite of all the wonderful people that fill the United States of America and the massive amounts of world aid they give each and every year, there remains so many internal problems. Just as there is in our beloved country of Canada and in nearly every other great country.

For in spite of all the difficulties, I'm proud to be a 'next door neighbour' of the United States and truly do believe for every negative report we hear on the news, there's a million wonderful things happening that the 'news' can't be bothered to report.

If ticked at anyone, I get ticked at so many of the newscasts that seem to take great pleasure in reporting only negative things - shame on them!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#72 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

In my opinion, Mara, you hit the nail on the head.
A lot of people take what is reported by the media, as gospel.
We need to remember, most media outlets are controlled by corporations, and corporatons have agenda's, which makes them bias.
Everything reported by the corporate media, should be taken with a grain of salt.
You'll be better served, by getting your news from several independent resources.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#73 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

I seem to have touched a nerve, particularly with Acklan and USSR1943, although locallypwned and a couple of others seems to have given a bit deeper thought to my comments. My thanks to those who have denied themselves the pleasure of self righteousness and considered my comments.

I would like to crawl out from under my rock for a moment and say a couple of things.

In my view, Americans are just like every one else. I don't pretend to be better or with less flaws. I certainly cannot defend my own country, Australia, for its flaws and short comings. The issues I raised are certainly universal.

However, America was my target because it is the premier nation on earth at the moment. It is considered by Americans and by many others as the world leader in so many fields. And I agree.

America has given the world so many things that I love and admire. In the areas of science, technology, music, entertainment, sports, business, medicine and many other fields, the American contribution has been massive. No question.

But history moves on. Let's also acknowledge some other area where America leads the world. Let's be even handed and see the bad as well as the good.

America is the world leader or near the top (amongst western industrialised countries) of the following fields; Weapons manufacture and sales. Crime. Drug use. Drug sales. gun ownership. gun deaths. drug deaths.

Although America is allegedly the world's richest country there are 45 million people in America without health care. America has the highest level of debt in the world. America has one of the highest rates of incarceration in the world (mostly blacks and hispanics). America is the most litigious nation on earth. More lawyers per head of population than I imagine God intended:)

America is the most war like nation on earth. How many nations has America invaded since WWII? How many counties has America bombed in that same time? You look it up. How many countries have American military bases? Not every problem can be solved with a gun.

I could go on, but I feel I have made my point. America in my mind represents what is best and what is worst in western civilization.

To conclude, let me say this. As I am not a high income earner I would certainly prefer to live here in Australia than America.

My comments are not meant to insult. They are meant to stimulate thought and debate.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#74 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Due to the nature that this thread has taken. I am closing it and referring it to Admins for review. It will be up to them to decide if this thread will be reopened or not. If it is reopened, I will be monitoring this thread for direct confrontational comments. Until such time, as a decision has been made on this thread, lets take a moment to reflect on the simple fact, each of us lives in a free society in which we are even able to disagree, here. Others in this world don't even have that basic human right.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users