Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taser Stun Guns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

This is the latest personal safety device which are to be made available to the public in fashion colours.
I am of the opinion that these are too dangerous for the general public to own.
Wait till the children start playing with Mum's hand bag,and watch the accidents happen.
50,000 volts is no laughing matter,IMO.
Here is the link to the full story.Any opinions?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6240659.stm

Edited by DSTM, 10 January 2007 - 03:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

Stun guns and tasers are great. Kids should carry them if allowed I think.

People arent always around to protect them. Those bullies would think twice if they knew the "little kid"(or whatever bullies call kids to pick on them) has a stun gun or taser in his pocket.

I mean you would only use it if in self defense.

They dont kill. Kids get popped by them and they dont die. If cop wants to carry one I think they have to be tasered so they know what it feels like.

A simple warning to not play with it and if they do and get shocked they will learn.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:58 PM

If cop wants to carry one I think they have to be tasered so they know what it feels like.

In my state they are required to, yes.
And with that statement I'm guessing you would agree that if kids want to carry a stun gun/taser they get zapped too, to see what it feels like?

They dont kill.

They do! 167 cases of death following stun-gun use Is just one of many links I can find.

And who do we hold responsible when a kid kills somebody while they are just "fooling around" and "didn't realize it would kill the old guy with a bad heart". Just one human death at the hands of a kid who knows better is way too expensive. If trained cops kill by accident. What are we going to have with kids just fooling around?

Just my 2 cents on a stupid idea. I have witnessed the results of a stungun/taser incident gone very badly and had to tell a mother her son died, and his wife her husband was not coming home and his kids Daddy is gone. Just one tragedy is too many, especially in untrained hands.

Be (50,000 volts) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

Oh my! Honestly, the thought of kids being allowed to carry them is a bit mind-boggling to me. Most kids haven't quite discovered the true difference between reality and play and to say that they'd only be used as self-defense against a bully doesn't seem realistic, honestly it doesn't.

And to say they aren't dangerous isn't actually true, either. Many people have died from being tasered - even by professional Police Officers - and the thought of them being in every one's hands is scary.

While yes, they could work as self-defense as a adult walking alone at night, etc - what would stop a sickie from using this against the innocent, including for purposes of rape, etc.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

Animal I could not agree with you more. I have two sons ( 13 & 17) and sofar they have not come up with the idea that they want one simply because I told them upfront that they would get to know the wrong end of my stick if I would caught them having one. These items are a hype overhere and sofar no accidents ( at least non published ones).

I have to disagree with you CGM3, it is a serious danger in the hands of none-responsible adulescants
who watch "great shows "as Jackass...

#6 GrouchoMarx

GrouchoMarx

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

... no one, but officials should be allowed to (and not want to) carry any sort of weapons!
Yes, what about self defence? you might ask.
But all the supposed self-defence weapons (stun-guns, cs-gas) can easily be used and do serious harm on the offense.

I frankly believe that any person that feels the need to privately carry or own weapons has got serious psychological issues, that need seeing to!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

Well by saying they dont kill I was more saying if they go off by accident. It only takes one bullet to kill. Soon as a stun gun goes of by accident the first reaction is to let go, with a gun your dead.

And who do we hold responsible when a kid kills somebody while they are just "fooling around" and "didn't realize it would kill the old guy with a bad heart". Just one human death at the hands of a kid who knows better is way too expensive. If trained cops kill by accident. What are we going to have with kids just fooling around?

You hold the bathoon who did it. Its battery to even hit someone who is innocent isnt it? The same would go for these.

Proper training would be needed if a kid got one.

While yes, they could work as self-defense as a adult walking alone at night, etc - what would stop a sickie from using this against the innocent, including for purposes of rape, etc.

The same could be said if your kid was un-armed and somebody tried to rape them. One of those would make the person leave them alone.

You can get them that look just like a standard cell phone and pack lots and lots of volts just not as much as the big ones.

I have to disagree with you CGM3, it is a serious danger in the hands of none-responsible adulescants
who watch "great shows "as Jackass...

Maybe so. Some people do not understand its true. Like I said its not a good thing for all. Animal I am not so sure making a kid get shocked if he carried one would be a good thing to do but it might work or decide they dont want to use one after all.

It would be more up to the maturity and responsibility of a child and be up to the parent. I saw one of those big boy units up close one. The ones with like 500k volts or 1 million volts and just looking at it and hearing it made me move away.

I am 17 and I have carried a knife since age 12 or 11. It was a smaller say 5.5 inches when open cheapo from walmart when I was 12 or so. I soon after got me a smith and wesson knife. Its 8.5 inches when open with a partial serrated edge. I also have a double bladed smith and wesson where you can pull both ends out at the same time if you wanted to.

I would never stab anyone with a knife unless my life depended on it say if someone came up to me and tried to pull me away from the croud and I could not beat him up to get away. Now I am responsible, some would not be so I think a parent should use good judgement.

Some would say kids shoudnt carry knifes either. I guess since I use my knife very often on the farm and we come from the south(or the "country") we just all carry knifes. Most all of my family caries a knife even my younger cousins.

I am just curious not to get off topic would you let your kid carry a knife if going out alone where people can legally. We learned the hard way big boy knifes dont go in buildings in washington dc ha ha.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

Another thing too that the Taser shoots out two little needles, and if you get these in your eyes or other sensitive areas you could do serious harm.

I think they are excellent for Law-enforcement, P.I. and other people who would normally need to carry an actual firearm. Sometimes someone does enough to be shot legally but still, morally I wouldn't want to shoot him... Think about a teen that has a handgun and the police officer is forced to shoot him. It would give the confused teen a second chance.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:38 PM

On a personal note, I would much rather have a child accidentally stun the daylights out of their friend then accidentally shoot them with a gun.

It's not the volts that kill, it's the amps. A cattle prod will even make people think twice about their actions if their getting zapped with it (speaking from experience :thumbsup: ).

Also, it'll be nice to see a mugger or other potential criminal get zapped into submission and just be forced to lay there until the police arrive to arrest them. If it were me, I'd zap them every few seconds just to remind them that they're doing (or have done/tried) something wrong :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

"It's not the volts that kill, it's the amps. A cattle prod will even make people think twice about their actions if their getting zapped with it"

I shocked myself once with our cattle prod. It wasnt like a taser all over but it hard badly in that one spot. Felt like a big kick or something ha ha.

#11 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

Oh my! Honestly, the thought of kids being allowed to carry them is a bit mind-boggling to me. Most kids haven't quite discovered the true difference between reality and play and to say that they'd only be used as self-defense against a bully doesn't seem realistic, honestly it doesn't.

And to say they aren't dangerous isn't actually true, either. Many people have died from being tasered - even by professional Police Officers - and the thought of them being in every one's hands is scary.

My thoughts are the same MaraM,and GrouchoMarx on this issue.Why the need to arm everybody with yet another defensive weapon.Children are not responsible at a young age,and I could only imagine the accidents which will result from these being readily available.
Ever thought that if nobody were allowed to carry Guns,Knives,sharp objects,and now stun guns that everybody would be on a level playing field.I say leave the Stun Guns in the hands of law enforcement.
Here,we are not allowed to carry any such weapons,and I don't think it is more dangerous for me to walk the streets here unarmed,than you walking the streets armed to the teeth.
There has been instances where a mugger or rapist has killed or injured you with your own gun.I believe these criminals will use the Stun Guns for holdups, and indeed for more criminal activities simply because they are relatively silent.A rapist for example can hit you with a Stun Gun in the back,creeping up behind you and you wouldn't have a chance to get the Stun Gun out of your bag.Also young thugs zapping old people for their savings in their homes.No noise to alert the neighbours.These are just a couple of examples where,if readily available the negatives would outway the positives in my mind anyway.

Trivia,The temp here today,where I live at 4.30 pm is 42.7 degrees C or about 107 degrees F.Anybody got a couple of buckets of snow, they dont want?????

#12 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

Re the 'trivia', DSTM - 107 degrees!!! Oh my dod!!! Hope you have central air-conditioning! If you can figure out how to send bottles of sunshine my way I could send you flasks filled with our snow - :thumbsup:
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:03 AM

... no one, but officials should be allowed to (and not want to) carry any sort of weapons!

So nobody should be allowed to carry a pencil, pen, briefcase, or even your hands?
Any of these can be used as a weapon, and cause death, if used properly.

Soon as a stun gun goes of by accident the first reaction is to let go, with a gun your dead.

Depends on where your hit with the bullet.

Think about a teen that has a handgun and the police officer is forced to shoot him. It would give the confused teen a second chance.

A second chance to kill you?

Ever thought that if nobody were allowed to carry Guns,Knives,sharp objects,and now stun guns that everybody would be on a level playing field.I say leave the Stun Guns in the hands of law enforcement.

How would you enforce that?
If a criminal wants a weapon, he'll find one.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:51 AM

So nobody should be allowed to carry a pencil, pen, briefcase, or even your hands?
Any of these can be used as a weapon, and cause death, if used properly.

How would you enforce that?
If a criminal wants a weapon, he'll find one.

tg1911,I would be stupid to think you could keep weapons out of the hands of criminals.
Having Guns,Stun Guns etc readily available to the general public does not improve our safety.
I feel safer with only an odd criminal to worry about,than every "Tom, Dick and Harry"playing Rambo.
Agree, most objects can be used to inflick injury,but making these Stun Guns readily available is a step in the wrong direction,in my opinion.

PS.Yes MaraM,I have cental air-conditioning,and the best place to be today is inside,and on BC.
Mowing the lawns will have to wait. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 11 January 2007 - 03:31 AM.

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

Just trying to point out, that if a criminal wants to commit a crime, using a weapon, he will find one, so what good does it do to keep responsible citizens from having access to the same weapons, for self-defense.
There's nothing the criminal element would like to see more, than to have all weapons made illegal.
All that does, is give the criminal, the advantage.
I don't consider that, a level playing field.

Your statement:

I feel safer with only an odd criminal to worry about,than every "Tom, Dick and Harry"playing Rambo.

assumes that every individual, that handles a weapon, is some kind of a nut, on a power trip.

I also believe that children should not be allowed to posses stun guns/tasers.
Most, do not have the maturity necessary, or the training, to be given that kind of responsibility.

I would be stupid to think you could keep weapons out of the hands of criminals.

I didn't figure you thought that, DSTM.
You don't strike me as a "stupid" person.
I was just getting a little bored at 1 AM this morning, saw this thread getting a little one sided, and thought I'd stir things up, a bit. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 11 January 2007 - 07:07 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users