Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Only Connect To Google

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alienweb

alienweb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

am running windows xp home on a network, internet via a proxy server. other computers on network access the internet ok. This computer (toshiba laptop) worked fine on the net until I upgraded form IE6 to IE 7. In a nutshell the problem is this. I can get the Google mainpage, and search google as normal. Occasionally if I hit a link I will access the selected site, but generally I am returned to the google main page (with errors), thought the address bar holds the address selected.
I installed Avant browser which has the same symptoms so assume problem is in internet settings.
I have uninstalled IE7 and re-installed IE6 but problem persists. I have reset all internet settings to defaults.
I generally use Opera for the bulk of my browsing, this of course works superbly but some sites require IE.

Although perhaps unconnected, automatic updates are not working so have turned them off.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

cheers alien

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:36 AM

Which version of IE7 you have?The beta one?

#3 alienweb

alienweb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

no idea which version of IE 7 as I uninsalled it and re-installed IE6

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

It sounds as though some system files have been corrupted. Try this: get your Windows XP installation disks handy in case you need them. Now click on Start --> Run In the Run box type:
sfc /scannow Make sure there is a space between the c and the / Click okay. Your computer will now check your system files. It will either attempt to repair or replace damaged or missing files. If prompted, insert the Windows XP installation disk into the drive.

Let us know if this solves the problem.

Note: some computers such as mine are set up with a back-up of all the system files already in place. If this is the case with your computer, you likely won't need the installation disks.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users